Saturday 1 December 2018

What do you want – and not want – to see in S9?

I know, I know, everyone and their dog has asked this question already. I've done it myself in other places. Still, I have a rotten cough right now and I'm not up to writing a proper blog post this time. So: what would you be happy to see in Season 9 of FiM? Let's assume for the sake of argument that it is the last season we'll ever get. I suppose I'd better give my own wishes too, so:

I would most like to see a Fluttershy/Rainbow map episode. It's been too long a wait, and it's not as if we get that many eps starring those two anyway. Their friendship is interesting as the longest-standing of any pair of the Mane Six, and I'd like to see how their dynamics are written now compared with how they were in the truly excellent – but S2 – "Hurricane Fluttershy".

I would least like to see romantic entanglement for any of the Mane Six, at least beyond comedic stuff like we saw with Trenderhoof in "Simple Ways". I think it's absolutely fundamental to FiM that friendship remains paramount. It would be disastrous to change things to give the impression that, actually, friendship is nice and all, but once you mature you'll "step up" to romance.

For the S9 finale? Well, whether that's S9E26 or whether we get another post-season special, I'd like something that gives me a similar feel to "Best Gift Ever". I don't see any point in a super-battle – "Twilight's Kingdom" did that – and I'd like it to be largely a reminder of what drew many of us to Equestria in the first place. Put the Mane Six, Spike and Starlight at its heart, and ideally give Celestia (especially) a proper role too.

What about you?

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about this for a little while, and really should get round to posting in your thread on UK of E. In general though, I agree with all the sentiments proposed here. A Rainbow/Shy ep certainly sounds good, even if it isn't top of my want list.

    As for what I want; my main wish is for one more musical episode. The four we've already had are favourites of mine, and I've really missed them in seasons 7 and 8. I'd also like a bit more Luna, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the student 6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be up for Luna having an episode with the students, actually. There are surely some interesting stories to be told there. :)

      Delete
  2. The only i want in season 9 that come to my mind right now is:

    I dont want it to be the last season. ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  3. My knee-jerk reaction is "nothing", but then I'm not planning to watch anyway.

    But really, my sole desire for the show before it ends is a canon, same-sex, mane character relationship. I don't even care if it happens in the actual show or in EQG. I technically don't care if it's Rarijack. But now's their time to pull a Legend of Korra and get away with it.

    ReplyDelete