Monday 17 December 2018

What merchandise is left to offer?

Since I can't think of much else to post and don't want to have two "Sounds of 2011" posts in a row, I'll throw open the virtual floor. What Pony merchandise would be worthwhile Hasbro making/licensing as FiM nears the end of its road? I phrased that question quite carefully, as I'm not asking "What do you, personally, want?" Generally that ends up with people suggesting beautiful and expensive collectibles – and ones that often don't make it outside the US, which is no help here!

No, I'm talking about stuff that could be sold in toy shops and supermarkets for a few quid. Personally, I'd like to see some more stationery. The range is much better than it was a few years ago, but it's still lacking. For example, I don't think I've ever seen an MLP-branded calculator, which seems a little odd given how ubiquitous they are. Years ago, Savers sold ponified tissue boxes, but for some odd reason they've not reappeared. And surely a little range of USB sticks with Pony theming could work. (Edit: as pointed out in the comments, there was the Mimobot range. Long since discontinued, though, and never very cheap.)
 
So, any thoughts in this regard?

4 comments:

  1. They did do USB sticks I own the Rainbow Dash one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the Mimobot range. I'd forgotten about those. I'll edit the post slightly. Mind you, they were always pretty hard to find in UK shops -- I'm not sure I ever saw one on the shelves -- and these days they're stupidly expensive on eBay. So we could still do with some more.

      Delete
  2. I never bought too much official merch — I have some of the Funko ponies, and the Guardians of Harmony Celestia and Discord. I will probably buy the Kotobukiya Pinkie Pie as well, and whatever else they come up with if the quality from the photos is any indication.

    One thing I would like to get is more music. A proper music compilation in Vinyl would be ideal. New character-specific Songs would also be cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All nice, but I don't think any of it counts as "stuff that could be sold in toy shops and supermarkets for a few quid", which is what I was really asking about. The collectibles market is a different animal.

      Delete