Sunday 30 December 2018

Sounds of 2011: Nos. 52 to 49

Still the festive season it may be, but I'm back up and running here on Louder Yay. I mentioned last time round that this edition would feature one of my favourite ever fandom tracks. It still does, but there has been a small bump in the road, which I'll explain when I get to it. Also, Pony Music Library will return in the next week or so, assuming I actually remember for once! We move into the top half of the Everfree Radio 2011 chart during this post, so let's go.


From the artist now to be found under the name Mumble Etc. comes this catchily gets-under-your-skin piece of accessible electronica. It's inspired by the S2 episode "Secret of My Excess" and was originally written for ZIQ17. I have no idea where that name come from, but it was a music contest run by Toastbeard. There's a link to a 320k MP3 in the video description; the Bandcamp link doesn't seem to be useful for this particular song any more. I can't quite place the source of the "Spike!" voice sample – anyone?

No. 51 doesn't meet my inclusion criteria, so I'm skipping it.


This, right here, is the personal favourite I mentioned earlier. A song I heard very early on after joining the fandom and one I've never stopped loving. A truly gorgeous example of PPS's skill in chopping vocals, in this case from "So Many Wonders". The accompanying video is very basic by modern standards, but who cares? It's fabulous, and it's about Fluttershy too. Now... I was going to celebrate the fact that PPS had made his Pony songs public again earlier this year. However, just in the last few days it appears that he's had a change of heart, and "Flutterwonder" is now private once again.

I don't know his reasons of course, but it's still sad. I'm including this song nevertheless, partly because it meets Criterion 3 – it's still so famous that it really would be pointless omitting it. But as it happens, it also meets Criterion 1, as it is still officially available direct from the artist. Just not on YouTube – you have to go to PinkiePieSwear's Bandcamp and hand over a US dollar for HQ downloads. The song itself was released under a Creative Commons licence (by 3.0) in any case, so it surely won't disappear regardless of the state of PPS's YouTube originals. Deep Wide Bell Wonder indeed!


Oddly enough, this track has a similar status to "Flutterwonder", though at least MandoPony's YouTube account itself is still accessible. This song, however, has disappeared from his YT; I'm therefore embedding a PMV by LadyTamika499, who got permission from MandoPony to use the song (see video description). It's a fun, light-toned guitar'n'vocals piece from Spike's perspective, talking about how well he gets on with Twilight. (I can't be the only one who thought of The Descendant...) As with "Flutterwonder", this song is still available (in HQ, too) from the artist's Bandcamp – it costs just 50 cents.

Next time: the return of Eurobeat Brony, plus the original of a song I love in a newer incarnation.

4 comments:

  1. Flutterwonder's only at 50? D: They better have some amazing shit from here on out...

    Ugh, it's 2011 again and I'm forced to listen to this on repeat. <3

    The deeper "Spike?" is Poison Joked Fluttershy from Bridle Gossip. The other is a tweaked Twilight, possibly from the pilot? But she shouts Spike's name all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a lot higher up if I had anything to do with it. I don't think you'll feel all the 48 remaining tracks* should have been ranked higher, but still.

      * Minus a few I skip.

      Delete
    2. Given that I ranked it #1, probably. :V

      Delete
    3. I can get behind that. :P

      Delete