Thursday 29 November 2018

Pony Music Library 57: "The Moon Rises"


It's been a while, hasn't it? Let's get back to the PML, and today I'll be inducting a tune which might easily have made the list a long time ago. One which has more than one excellent version, too.

What? "The Moon Rises"

Who? Ponyphonic

Which? Original song

When? February 2012

Why? This is one of the undoubted vocal classics of the Pony fandom. It puts us in the horseshoes of Princess Luna in the run-up to her refusal to lower the sun, over a thousand years before the events of FiM. The song starts quite gently, but gradually builds in power until by the end there's no doubt that Luna's transformation into Nightmare Moon is imminent. My choice of Ponyphonic's original male vocals may be a little controversial, but I've always preferred this to any of the others, despite the lack of one verse that was later added.

However, there are two main female singers who've given this song their own individual stamp. In April 2016, Kristen Calvin's cover introduced us to the extra verse near the end – six lines about Luna's determination to be recognised. Then, in November of the same year, Duo Cartoonist's hugely popular animation (14m views and counting!) featured EileMonty's vocals, including some pretty striking evil laughter right at the end. They're both fine interpretations, but it's Ponyphonic's original that hits the right note for me.

5 comments:

  1. My issue with the female covers is that this song really needs a lower register. It would sound amazing in an alto's voice, but I don't think we have any in the fandom, at least not producing music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perceptive comment. I heard EileMonty sing this live at UK PonyCon and loved it, but listening to the video of that performance now I would love to hear a singer that good, but in a lower register.

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, a worthy inductee for sure. I would’ve guessed from memory it was already in if not for now. A real fandom classic, and fun to sing in karaoke sessions.

    I enjoy the original and EilyMonty’s versions very much. The latter has an extra special place in my heart now from the live performance at UK Ponycon. The last note of that newer verse is maybe my favourite part.

    I was never as keen on Kristin’s version. Not from lack of singing talent, mind. I think some of it just felt a bit over-the-top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My karaoke scores on this one are all over the place. It's odd, as mostly when I learn a song properly I'm fairly consistent – but not with "The Moon Rises".

      Yes, EileMonty's live version was stunning to be there for, and that. I would actually love to hear Ponyphonic himself sing this live, though I can't imagine I ever will.

      Delete
  3. This is unquestionably my favorite pony song. A lot of writers can't manage a believable character trancention, but this does it perfectly. I also agree that it would benefit from a lower range cover.

    ReplyDelete