Tuesday 4 February 2020

My Little Repeats: Looking forward to Season 2

The other day, I posted some reflections on how my rewatch of Season 1 of Friendship is Magic had gone. Here, I'm going to talk a little about how I expect to find Season 2. This will be quite a short post, as I don't have a huge amount to say. I know, you're heartbroken, aren't you? But for better or worse, here are a few of my brief thoughts as to what S2 may bring.

S2 is, of course, the second and last season in which Lauren Faust was involved, albeit only on some episodes. Its finale is also the point at which a decisive break was made with Faust's plans. But from my personal point of view, the more significant thing is that the S2 finale is also the first episode I watched as it originally aired. So, although only marginally, this will be the first season for which I was a member of the fandom!

I remember S2 as being pretty decent overall, but also somewhat more uneven than tends to be remembered today. I certainly remember Rainbow Dash annoying the hay out of me for large swathes of the first half of the season. On the other hoof, S2 also contains my favourite episode of all time – or at least, what has been my favourite: "Hurricane Fluttershy". I wonder whether it will still wear that crown when all is said and done with this rewatch?

Derpygate is coming halfway through S2, but unlike the controversial episodes in S1, that one seems almost forgotten ancient history now. I suppose the knowledge we have now that Derpy would return eventually after her near-absence from the season after this one has a lot to do with that. I'll actually be pleased when I get to "The Last Roundup", because the preceding episode ("Baby Cakes") is one I have found a bit of a trial to watch for many years now.

I'm expecting to enjoy S2 overall, but I wonder whether it will quite be able to match S1, which was better than I remembered. I've never placed S2 right at the top of my season rankings, but it's always been there or thereabouts. I have a fair idea of what the highlights are likely to be, but if I can have a few nice surprises along the way then that will be perfect. I'll be getting going with rewatching S2 sometime next week, I think. No promises, but I'll try!

4 comments:

  1. Personally I think season two is third best season of MLP, Lesson Zero is still a fun episode to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that episode will score highly. I've always liked it. More so than "Luna Eclipsed" which follows it, actually!

      Delete
  2. Controversy-wise, S2 contains "The Mysterious Mare-do-well", which I remember kinda "breaking" the fandom at the time. There was quite a bit of vitriol after it aired, although it seems to have died down in recent years. Of course, nothing compared to the absolute storm that was "Last Roundup" and Derpygate, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, though that was more of an intra-fandom row, like Twilicorn and Starlight were later on. Derpygate was, I think, the only one that got beyond fannish consciousness in any meaningful way.

      Delete