Friday 14 February 2020

2021 MLP movie release dates (provisional)

Pointless amusement of the day: reading (mostly) Americans being mildly horrified to discover that the Oxford comma is not only unused but flat-out incorrect in German. German! A language which scatters commas everywhere else like confetti.

Via Equestria Daily, we have some dates for the release of the G5 movie next year! The countries that have been mentioned so far are the US, the UK, the Netherlands and Turkey. A slightly motley crew for this first batch, but never mind. At least we now know the film is intended for big-screen duties in this country, though I'd have been pretty amazed if it hadn't been! The dates listed are these:

US: 24th September 2021
Netherlands: 13th October 2021
UK: 15th October 2021
Turkey: 22nd October 2021

As more than one person has quite reasonably mentioned to me today, these dates are not necessarily set in stone. We are, after all, over a year and a half away still. I think the powers that be will probably want to try to keep the UK release somewhere around the autumn half-term holiday, but all sorts of things could happen.

We also still know effectively nothing about the film itself, beyond the fact that it will be CGI. It does seem almost certain that it will serve as a prequel/introduction to the (Toon Boom) series that follows, but right now we haven't seen anything visual at all. I wonder whether we might get a still or a promo pic out of this month's New York Toy Fair? Maybe it's still too early.

Still, this is just that little bit more activity on the G5 front. Of course we've known G5 was definitely on its way for a while – but it does feel as though the wheels of public information are just beginning to turn now. I am looking forward to finding out more!

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think announcing a movie release date this far out is a little hasty. I wouldn't expect it to be more correct than maybe the month. Who knows what'll happen before then? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there was that asteroid news the other day... :P

      Delete
  2. I don't know that my son will be interested enough to go see it in the theater. That got me thinking about how long I'd have to wait for it to show up on TV, and then I realized... Did the first movie ever get played on DF? I don't remember seeing it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. The movie did eventually turn up on TV here in the UK, but not until some time after after its Blu-Ray/DVD release.

      Delete
    2. The first movie was premiered on The Hub on Sept 1st 2013, after its summer theatrical run, according to an EQD article.

      Delete