Sunday 15 October 2017

Spoiler-free review: My Little Pony: The Movie

Please note that "spoiler-free" means that the level of information here is roughly what you'd get in a general media review. If you're trying to avoid all information about the film, stop reading now!

I'd been expecting my reaction to My Little Pony: The Movie to be something along the lines of "Well, that was okay, I guess" – something that might have just about scraped a three-star rating. In the event, I liked it a good deal more than that. However, I can see why some people wouldn't, and I don't think this is a movie that's likely to convert huge swathes of general filmgoers to the cause of Pony. But I was thoroughly entertained, so ★★★★. Considerably more – but still spoiler-free by the standard given above – is written below!

Part of the reason existing fans may be happier is because there are a number of scenes and references that work much better if you're familiar with the Mane Six's characters. As a non-spoilery example, knowing that Twilight can be uncertain of her role as Princess of Friendship gives an extra dimension to a few things. On a more basic level, there's no real explanation of who Cadance is, though she plays only a minor role.

I am glad I saw this film at the cinema. Not simply because I want to support the movie financially, but because I really do think it benefits from a big screen. I know not everyone can see it that way for one reason or another, and you'll still get most of the effect on Blu-ray when the time comes, but if you're able to see this during its big-screen release, I do think you'll get most out of it that way.

This is most apparent with the animation, which does work, and better than it did in the early trailers. While there are still a few rough edges with the CGI, things are rarely jarring and the 2D animation is fluid and pleasant to look at. The Mane Six themselves are a little more rounded and "squidgy" than we're used to, but apart from a few weird expressions that doesn't get in the way either.

The ponies' characterisation is... okay. It's not as interesting as in the best episodes of FiM itself, and in several ways it reflects the fact that this movie went into production in 2014. Canonically this film is set after S7, but actually most of it works quite well if you think of it as being set around the time of S4. I won't give specifics to avoid spoilers, but some ponies get a better deal than others. Draw your own conclusions.

The plot is not the world's most original – but neither is the plot of many show episodes. It serves its purpose. Pacing is a bit weird at times, partly as a result of all the songs (which vary considerably in memorableness) but be reasonably forgiving and it's not too bad. As for the new characters, I have mixed views, but again being spoiler-free requires me to be vague.

In brief: if you go in expecting this to be a perfectly constructed film, you're likely to be disappointed. If you go in just hoping for a fun 100 minutes, you have a better chance of enjoying yourself. Everyone I talked to who was at today's screening liked the movie, and I'd probably place it in the same class as Rainbow Rocks, though I won't decide for a while yet which one I like better.

Although certainly not required, I do think it helps to have read the four-part IDW prequel comic arc, as it fleshes out a few of the new characters who are otherwise a bit flat. But that final rating? As I said, I liked it more than the just-three-star film I thought it would be. I'm really looking forward to seeing it again in a couple of weeks' time, and I think it probably did enough to earn a four.

7 comments:

  1. Wait, it took three years to make this thing? O.o That DOES explain a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, since you're here... the end credits spell her name "Cadence". :P

      Delete
    2. You're kidding! :D

      Five oudda five, tenouddaten, best movie

      Delete
    3. Aw, in fact I have to disappoint you now. I saw a screenshot of an earlier version where it was spelt with an E... but I'm now told the finished film spells it with an A instead. I can't remember what I saw in the cinema, but I suspect it was A.

      Delete
    4. IT'S ALWAYS SECRETS AND PIES WITH THESE PONIES

      Delete
  2. Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction to the movie. I would only bump it down to a 3 stars due to how much the comedy relief character grated on me. I'd love to watch a fan-edit with his scenes straight up removed =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For whatever reason, said character didn't bother me too much. Maybe it's the terrible cartoons I watched as a kid. :P

      Delete