Sunday 2 April 2017

"Imposing Sovereigns" competition results

Yeah, I know I never got round to mentioning FanOfMostEverything's "Imposing Sovereigns" competition here. My bad, though at least it's not as if it really needed more of a signal boost, considering how it caught people's attention anyway. And no, I didn't enter: I'm terrible at having ideas for these things at the right time, and I didn't. I have been keeping an eye on it, though, and FOME has now announced the winners!

I haven't actually read any of these stories yet, but there are six stories mentioned on the page I just linked to, so they'll make a nice Ponyfic Roundup post at some point in the not too distant future. Something that delights me is that three of the six authors are relatively little known, with fewer than 50 followers at the time of writing. Indeed, the writer who came second has twelve followers and only joined Fimfiction in August 2016.

The winner was someone who is well known – but Aragon's story seems to have picked up almost universal praise. It's also Comedy/Adventure, one of my favourite genre combos, so I'm looking forward to it a lot. Even if it is the longest of all six mentioned fics at over 18,000 words, you annoying author, you. :P

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that 18k words length scared some people away at first -- but hey, the story did well anyway, and it actually won. So, happy endings for everybody! Hahah.

    It's really long, yeah.

    I mean, at least most of the readers -- and the judges, actually -- said that it didn't FEEL that long 'cause the pacing is fast, so there's that.

    It is weird, however, that none of the heavyweights won. Skywriter, Ghost of Heraclitus, Bookplayer... I seriously thought those three were going to take the prize, and I was honestly surprised when they didn't. Really weird. At least MrNumbers got a mention. Jury's out on if I count as a heavyweight, though it's true that I have more followers than the other two people in the podium, so I guess in a relative sense I am.

    Anyway, looking forward to that not-too-distant review roundup. That's gotta be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think someone with a four-figure follower count is a heavyweight by definition to most of us! But yeah, it was interesting that probably nobody would have predicted that top three.

      Delete
  2. That was quite a show, wasn't it? I'm still trying to catch up with all those new fics, and I was a slow fimfiction reader to begin with. :(

    I didn't bother trying to predict who the top three were going to be. So many people took part and blew FoME's expectations out of the water that the only thing I became reasonably sure of was this: 'tweren't gonna be me, not by a long shot (especially given what a hash I made of my own participation). Still, it was fun. :)

    Can't wait for the next one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was impressive, certainly. One day I may even get my stuff together and have an idea at the same time as a competition is live! Not that I'd have come close to winning this one anyway, but it would have been fun to take part.

      Delete