Tuesday 12 July 2022

Well, that's rather nice

Early warning that things may get a bit slow around here shortly, as I'm under an amber extreme heat warning for the weekend. The numbers probably won't look that high to many of you, but bear in mind almost nobody has home AC here. It will not be easy to concentrate if it does come off.

I received some pleasant news yesterday. My entry for Bicyclette's "A Thousand Words Contest", Echoes of a Song, has been awarded an Honourable Mention. It's the first story featured on the results page, along with some very kind words from FanOfMostEverything. Considering the number of entries this contest had, and especially the calibre of so many of the authors involved, I was not expecting this and I am absolutely delighted. Who knows, I may even write something else inside the next year now! ;)

On a related note, I absolutely do intend to go through a bunch of contest fics for Ponyfic Roundup in the not-too-distant future. I'm not sure exactly how many I'll cover – there were over 100 entries, so reviewing all of them might be tough going – but I'm currently inclined to write about the Gold, Silver, Bronze and Hon Mensh stories. There were 29 of those, so subtracting mine that makes 28 reviews. Depending on how I divided them up, that would probably take about a month. No promises at this stage, however.

Finally: the challenge of making a story exactly a thousand words long (999 wouldn't have been accepted by Fimfiction, and 1,001 wouldn't have been a valid entry) was a lot more interesting than I initially thought it would be, and I don't seem to have been the only entrant who felt this way. If Bike felt like running this contest again at some point, say next year, I suspect plenty of people would respond. But for now to her and all the judges I merely say a big thank you.

2 comments: