Tuesday 5 July 2022

Comparing my S5 rankings with UK of Equestria's from 2015

Long ago, back when forums were more of a thing for the Pony fandom than social media was, I was a moderator and very frequent poster over on UK of Equestria.¹ One of the things I started doing about halfway through FiM's run was to handle an annual spreadsheet of people's opinions on the seasons. We asked people to rate the season from first to last (no ties permitted) with double episodes counted as one.
¹ Technically I still am a mod there, but the place is close to tumbleweed status these days, sadly.

I won't repeat the whole of S5's ranking list here, as you can read it in my original blog post. In this post I was just going to remark on one or two things that caught my eye from almost seven years later – but in truth, there isn't much in there that's dated particularly badly. Possibly "The Cutie Map" was a little on the underrated side at the time: I think that episode's reputation has grown over the years. "Appleoosa's Most Wanted" seems a bit harshly treated, too.

As for overrated episodes... again, there aren't many in there, not really. I personally wouldn't rank "Bloom & Gloom" that high, but I certainly know people who would. I'm actually weirdly proud of the fact that our silly band of forum-goers (17 voted that year) had what in retrospect still seems like a pretty solid view of what was and wasn't a good S5 episode. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment