Saturday 2 July 2022

My Little Repeats: Reflections on Season 5

This one's been a long old ride, seeing as I posted my rewatch article about "The Cutie Map, part 1" way back on 13th November. Once again I have failed to stick to this series' original plan of rewatching an episode every few days and posting sketch-type thoughts rather than taking ages and trying to give a mention to every little thing. You never know, I might get that back on track for S6. I mean, stranger things have happened. Probably.

Looking at my average star ratings for the five seasons up to this point, here's the ranking:

1. Season 4: 3.42
2= Season 1: 3.38
2= Season 2: 3.38
4. Season 5: 3.27
5. Season 3: 2.92

Given that S5 is often seen as being amongst the very best seasons, I was mildly surprised by this result. I think it's largely that this season is more inconsistent, with some soaring highs but also a couple of really unimpressive episodes. Anyway, more waffle past the cut!

First, here's how I rated S5's 26 episodes:

★★★★★
The Cutie Map, part 1
The Cutie Map, part 2
Slice of Life
Amending Fences
Crusaders of the Lost Mark

★★★★
Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?
Rarity Investigates!
The Mane Attraction
The Cutie Re-Mark, part 1

★★★
Castle Sweet Castle
Bloom & Gloom
Tanks for the Memories
Appleloosa's Most Wanted
Make New Friends But Keep Discord
The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone
Canterlot Boutique
Brotherhooves Social
The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows
Hearthbreakers
Scare Master
The Cutie Re-Mark, part 2

★★
Princess Spike
Party Pooped
Made in Manehattan
The Hooffields and the McColts

 
What About Discord?

Seasons 2 and 4 each had ten episodes rating four stars or more. Season 5 managed nine, which is still a pretty solid showing. However, there are some less impressive signs lower down the list. We have the first one-star rating in the show's history up to this point, and five episodes rating two or below. No fewer than 12 in the three-star bracket suggests a lot of "good, but just good" episodes here, too.

Possibly S5 suffered a little from the sky-high expectations after the wildly popular (despite that castle) "Twilight's Kingdom" closer to S4. However, the premiere to the new season was what may well be the single best story Friendship is Magic has ever told. "The Cutie Map" was a triumph, one which gets better every time I see it. If S5 had produced nothing else, it would have been worth it for that.

I awarded three other episodes top marks. "Slice of Life" was a self-indulgent five, I admit, but I'm not remotely sorry. In terms of sheer silly escapist enjoyment, very little in any show I've watched has ever approached it. "Amending Fences", contrastingly, is widely and I think fairly seen as the pinnacle of this show's writing, with strong characters interacting in a strong story. "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" is back to unashamedness, but this time the sheer joy of seeing the CMC make it.

I've mentioned plenty of times how S5 marks the end of an era. With the exception of Dave Polsky, who himself would be gone in a year, the last of the original writers left after S5. No more Amy Keating Rogers or M. A. Larson eps from here on in.¹ New names would come and go now, but as a general rule they would not be the fandom household names that the aforementioned three or, earlier, the likes of Cindy Morrow managed to become.
¹ Okay, there's "Fame and Misfortune", but we'll leave that can of worms until I reach S7...

This season mostly saw the last of Twilight struggling with princesshood, although some people (including me) found her emotion over her destroyed old home in "Castle Sweet Castle" at least somewhat touching. The good episodes were quite well sprinkled amongst the Mane Six this season, although Fluttershy was rather underused and didn't have any outstanding episodes that she could really call her own. The CMC, on the other hand...

...which leads me to say that the Crusaders only rarely recaptured their magic after they gained their cutie marks. We'd followed along, sharing in their struggle, all these years and their new helper roles although often fun didn't quite have the same emotional intensity. "Crusaders of the Lost Mark", though a glorious episode, also saddens in retrospect due to Hasbro's refusal to allow the reformed Diamond Tiara even one speaking line thereafter.

And then, of course, there is Starlight. One of the greatest of all My Little Pony villains, but a much more controversial character as a reformed member of the Mane Six And A Half from S6 onwards. The core character dynamics would be irrevocably changed, and even though many people (including me) liked Starlight as a good guy, the show was inevitably slightly different from now on. We're about to enter a whole new era.

Back to S5, and "Rarity Investigates!" is but one example of the inventiveness we saw on screen at times. Its film noir segments were a roaring success, and the season's fairly frequent use of custom end credits music proved a lot of fun. (I'm sad that was abandoned later on.) Other striking examples included the storybook sequence in "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" and the dream segments in "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?"

I don't really want to dwell too much on the outright failures, especially the dire "What About Discord?" Instead, I'll mention that I'll now be taking a short break from the My Little Repeats series, as I hinted the other day. And when I return for S6... I remember finding much of the early season rather meh, not terrible but just meh. It will be interesting to see whether my opinions on that have changed in the intervening years.

6 comments:

  1. Like last season, in advance of this, I compiled a ranking, then adjusted it to fix your scoring system while still retaining my tier barometers. Truthfully, I'd like to use half-star increments too, but that would complicate comparisons to yours. Thus

    Fantastic (★★★★★)
    1. Amending Fences
    2. The Cutie Map - Part 2
    3. The Cutie Map - Part 1

    Great (★★★★)
    4. Rarity Investigates!
    5. Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?
    6. The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 1
    7. Crusaders of the Lost Mark

    Really Good (★★★★)
    8. The Mane Attraction
    9. Makes New Friends but Keep Discord
    10. Scare Master

    Good (★★★)
    11. Canterlot Boutique
    12. Slice of Life
    13. Tanks for the Memories
    14. Bloom and Gloom
    15. Appleoosa’s Most Wanted
    16. The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone

    Decent (★★)
    17. The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 2
    18. The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows
    19. Hearthbreakers
    20. Castle Sweet Castle
    21. Brotherhooves Social

    Okay (★★)
    22. The Hooffields and McColts
    23. Made in Manehattan

    Weak (★★ or ★)
    24. Party Pooped (★★)
    25. Princess Spike (★)

    Bad (★)
    No episodes here!

    Terrible (★)
    26. What About Discord?

    Abysmal (★)
    No episodes here!

    AVERAGE STAR RATING: 3.04

    My average rating for Season 4 was 3.19, meaning a difference of 0.15, identical to yours! As before, I'll need to do a proper rewatch of the first three to add them to this, but I'm sure Season 2 and 1 will be above these two, and Season 3 below them, though not by as much as some folk.

    As a bonus, writer averages:
    Scott Sonneborn (2 episodes): 4.5
    M.A. Larson (3 episodes): 4.33
    Natasha Levinger (2 episodes): 4
    Amy Keating Rogers (4 episodes): 3.75
    Josh Haber (3 episodes): 3
    Cindy Morrow (1 episode): 3
    Joanna Lewis and Kristine Songco (3 episodes): 2.67
    Dave Polsky (2 episodes): 2.5
    Nick Confalone (2 episodes): 2
    Gillian M. Berrow (1 episode): 2
    Noelle Benvenuti (1 episode): 2
    Neal Dusedau (2 episodes): 1.5

    I've commented heavily on many of the season's threads that you highlight here through the months , so I won't repeat them, by and large, except to summarise. Twilight has the last traces of her old personality evaporate gradually, and fully becomes a bland lead. On the other hand, the Crusaders have a decent arc and bit of foreshadowing leading up to their finale episode, though they too lose much of their spark by next season for all the reasons you mention.

    I'd had years of reading and brooding to come to terms with this being the inconsistent season, and even without my Production Changes delving, one can sense a lot of scrambling and upheaval behind the scenes. That said, despite the knowledge of a good few fantastic episodes and a fair share of "eh" ones, this contained some nice surprises. Appleoosa's Most Wanted, Make New Friends But Keep Discord, Brotherhooves Social, Scare Master and, yes, The Cutie Re-Mark were all episodes that positively surprised me this time, being a rating higher then I'd have expected. Especially that last one; the parts that don't work still don't work, but the rest around it really excels (more so in Part 1), and now I've divorced it from the following material not aligning with this at all, it's less of a thorn in my side. Also helped by how much the season's episode reinforces its themes; not just cutie marks, but destiny, personal choice, the affect on yourself and those around you from which you abide by and which you ignore, the works. Realising that consciously was quite the moment for moi.

    If this season were a little less micro managed, and didn't have to deal with shuffling story editors around so much and Meghan McCarthy getting busy with the Movie, I reckon most rough spots could have been smoothed over, and we'd have a season that equalled or maybe even surpassed Season 4, continuing the upward streak from Season 3. But whatever the issues here (and they are not small), Season 5 earns its reputation as the show's last good season, regardless of whether one feels it should have ended here or not (I do, but you know that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at your episode ranking, I suspect quite strongly that "Slice of Life" scores significantly lower with those who joined the fandom after it than with those who were there at the time. Its appearance was definitely An Event, you see, and I'm sure part of my affection for it is nostalgic. I think I'd still like it if I came across it for the first time much more recently (and after all, you still scored it "Good") but I doubt I'd have given it top marks.

      Delete
  2. A note for next season; as I've stated offhand over the last few months, this marks the end of my Production Changes notes. It just stopped being worthwhile spending a full afternoon each week going through each one, relative to how many actually interesting points came out of them. Even for this season, which had a far less smooth production than Season 4, very nearly all episodes still improved along the way, with issues being baked in to the premise or writer from the get go. Meaning most changes just elicited a polite "yeah, that makes sense" reaction. But the reassurance of the efforts there, and seeing how many visual bits were invented whole cloth by the board artists over the episode there, that was nice.

    These notes were often presented in a clunky summarised manner here, I'll grant. I intend to skim back through my notes and take one animatic cut per episode, and post a blog with them quoted and unedited (and largely bereft of overdone commentary from moi). Kind of a highlights reel. Keep an eye out for that!

    Anyway, none of that for Season 6. I won't rule out occasionally peeking into an episode's scripts, seeing if there's an interesting cut, but even that'll be super rare. Also not guaranteeing I'll bother rewatching each episode alongside My Little Repeats. Meaning you might just get recollection comments more in line with most folks here. Though judging by how much I said for Friendship Games, probably not, heh.

    Whether the posting pace speed up for it or not, see you next season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hey, you've done a lot. :D Thanks for all the hard work, it's been really interesting!

      Delete
  3. I think it's largely that this season is more inconsistent, with some soaring highs but also a couple of really unimpressive episodes.
    After revisiting the season with you, I think this hits the mark 100%. It's got my all-time favorite episode, Amending Fences, Do Princesses Dream, which would have been my favorite if not for its neighbor, and the fantastic premiere and finale (minus the last five minutes or so). This is what I think of when I think back on S5.

    But... Yeah, it brought us yaks. D: That's a war crime all by itself.

    So S5 is the last season I rewatched ever. I think when you get on to S6, I'll try watching the episodes along with you. It's been a long time, for me. :B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Yona. Sorry. But at least that won't be an issue until S8. :P

      Delete