Wednesday 2 March 2022

Ponyfic Roundup 382

Read it Later story count: 94 (-2) 

It's been a rather tiring week, though nothing exceptional and I don't want to complain too much about it. But still, some ponyfic has been a good idea. Four stories once again this week – maybe, just maybe, I'm getting the hang of this lark now! Not a lot else to say in this space today, so let's get to the business end of the post. I've had worse weeks...

An Old Tale in a New World by Impossible Numbers
Love Me Not by Moonlit Path
General Amnesty by Cynewulf
Trade of the Trix by FanOfMostEverything

★: 1 | ★★: 0 | ★★★: 1 | ★★★★: 1 | ★★★★★: 1
Note: I use a skewed rating system. A fic I find average scores two stars.

An Old Tale in a New World by Impossible Numbers
OCs, Diamond Dogs and Tirek
Dark/Adventure/Tragedy; 12k words; May 2015; Teen

At this turning point of history, a new frontier is colonized from across the seas. One orange farmer's foal is stolen away, and a new tale arises when three unlikely creatures all meet at the Duende Inn.

As its title hints, this fic is set in the Latin-America-analogue lands where dwell Ahuizotl and his ilk. However, he's not the important guy here. We instead join a Diamond Dog as he arrives at a local inn to be confronted with suspicion and dark hints about "we never forget what you did". It also becomes clear that Tirek and Scorpan are involved here somehow, as is a mysterious figure known as the Enchantress. This is a highly atmospheric story whose extensive world-building (it was written for a WB contest) brings to life its initially less familiar setting, and the tension is palpable throughout. Don't expect too much in the way of gentle fluff, and the ending may well hit you hard. Note also the chapter titles for clues as to timing. My problem with it is that, as with a few of Impossible Numbers' other fics, I found it a bit too obscure in its hints about what was actually going on, frustratingly so in the end, and I wasn't really sure what it was all getting at. If you're better than me at putting together these jigsaw puzzles, you may find this rates a four. Since I'm not, it's a top-end three for me. ★★★

Love Me Not by Moonlit Path
Twilight and Rarity
Romance/Comedy; 2k words; Aug 2016; Teen (Sex)

When Rarity goes into heat, she figures that it's time to confess her feelings for Twilight.

You don't see that many non-Mature "in heat" stories, so this one caught my attention, especially as it's reasonably well written (something that can't always be said of clopfics). Rarity has a mildly kinky streak, as fanon has held for years, and this is not overdone, which keeps it believable. Twilight is of course naive about... well, everything. That's where this falls down, though: Twi is quite absurdly naive here, to the extent of asking whether "kissing friends is a higher class thing?" This extreme unworldliness might just about work with pre-FiM Twilight, but she's explicitly an alicorn by the time this fic is set. The story also doesn't really know how funny it wants to be: a sentence like "Rarity took out one of her smaller dildos and passed it to Twilight, who eyed it cautiously" is the kind of sentence you expect to be the setup to a perhaps slightly dodgy but nevertheless funny joke, but here it's not followed up by anything much. Add to that the fact that the "heat" angle is little more than "Rarity decides she has the hots for Twilight" and it's sadly hard to recommend this even if sex comedies are your thing. ★

General Amnesty by Cynewulf
Rainbow Dash and Applejack
Romance/Drama; 11k words; Sep 2017; Teen (Sex)

A new age has overtaken Equestria. Whether it will be a good one or not is irrelevant to Rainbow Dash. Her mission goes on regardless.

Equestria and the Empire have fought each other to a standstill. The Emperor is dead, Celestia is gone. In this new world, the Emperor's Prime Minister, Malachite the Younger, aims to form a new government with Cadance as a figurehead and Raven as seneschal. Meanwhile, Applejack and Rainbow Dash (a married couple here) discuss and prepare for Dash's assassination attempt on Malachite – a mission that Rainbow seems more set upon than her wife. This is a gripping tale about the way idealism and cold reality so often collide in the aftermath of war, showing how tensions exist both at the very top of society and within individual relationships. All the characters are very satisfyingly drawn, including a very nice supporting role from an untagged (though canon) character – though my favourite may well be Applejack's grounded counterpoint to Rainbow's impetuosity. You can tell that both have been changed by the war, though: they'll have seen many things they never expected or wanted to. Technology has advanced to the extent that radio now exists, but wars tend to do that so it didn't bother me at all. My one small (really small) hesitation is with the tagging: this is probably [Dark] and possibly, depending on your interpretation of the timeline, [Alternate Universe] as well. Regardless, this is highly recommended. ★★★★★

Trade of the Trix by FanOfMostEverything
Twilight and Trixie
Slice of Life; 3k words; Feb 2020; Everyone

Twilight wants answers. Trixie wants peace. Both would prefer not to explode.

This little fic is a delight. Set in early S7, it sees Twilight visit Trixie's caravan to find out exactly why a mare who back in "Boast Busters" was able to do advanced tricks is now reduced to shouting spell names in desperation. Trixie warns her to be careful owing to the highly reactive chemicals she's currently using to make fireworks. What's so good about this is that it's written with a light touch and flows effortlessly – I'm sure it wasn't effortless to write, but it sure is to read, and I love it. The then-still-newishly-reformed Starlight plays a part as well, and the dialogue is wonderful: "the Off-Stage and Adjectiveless Trixie" had me howling. A really nice ending, and the end A/N are not to be missed. This is a really polished example of quick-read fic: it may not knock the breath out of you, but I can't see many people regretting spending 20 minutes on this. A four-star fic, and with some ease. ★★★★


Next time, I hope that stories reviewed will include Azure Notion's undercover (pre-reformation) changeling fic Unchanging Love.

10 comments:

  1. oooh, a 5-star! :D Cynewulf be good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you already reviewed this one, then? I don't remember if you did.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hmm? The one-star fic didn't do it for me for the reasons given, but it's certainly not devoid of good things. Just that for me, at least, the story really didn't work.

      Delete
  3. What I've read of Cynewulf definitely endears me to them as an author, so I'l be sure to give that one a look in at some point. I've read Trade of the Trixie, and it's good for all the reasons you cite. FoME always makes short fics derived from one aspect or hole in canon flow so easily and smoothly, with not a drop of flop sweat anywhere. Writing Ponyfic for a decade and being one of the community's most active members will hone writing skills, who knew? As a bonus, this feels exactly right to Twilight and Trixie's relationship following "No Second Prances" (that close-up shot of Twilight forcing a strained smile leaps to mind) too, an area most authors fumble.

    I must confess to sometimes finding some of Impossible Numbers' fics a bit heavy and over-cryptic that impedes the enjoyment of what are otherwise usually quite immaculate and polished fics, similar to yourself. Not sure if that one sounds like my cup of tea. We'll see.

    Next time, I hope that stories reviewed will include Azure Notion's undercover (pre-reformation) changeling fic Unchanging Love.
    Oh, let's go! I love Unchanging Love, even if, in retrospect, it feels like basically a rushed setup for its lengthy in-progress sequel, Unending Love (which it may take Azure something like three years to finish, but by the quality so far, it'll be worth it – it's the rare fic I not only read while in-progress, but sometimes return to read parts of while still incomplete). I'll save the thoughts for next time, but suffice to say the characters breathe so well, and it avoids all the common pratfalls of changeling fics set in the timeline of the Canterlot invasion. There are more than a few good changeling fics out there, but the surplus of them and the deluge in 2012 following "A Canterlot Wedding" makes many of them feel very samey. Only "Without A Hive" might top the pair of this and its sequel for me, and I do say might. Can't wait to see what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. which it may take Azure something like three years to finish

      Let's hope I'm still reviewing ponyfic in 2025, then! :P

      Only "Without A Hive" might top the pair of this and its sequel for me, and I do say might.

      That one's on my RiL list as well. No ETA for its review as yet, though.

      Delete
  4. Another couple to add to my list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SPOILERS AHEAD

    "My problem with it is that, as with a few of Impossible Numbers' other fics, I found it a bit too obscure in its hints about what was actually going on, frustratingly so in the end, and I wasn't really sure what it was all getting at."

    For what it's worth after the fact (and I say this with no idea specifically which aspect didn't land for you, and while talking about a fic when it feels like I wrote it a lifetime ago), the unifying theme is "legacy" (e.g. wanting to forge one, wanting to reclaim one, wanting to avoid someone else's), often at the expense of whether it's the right or wrong one to pursue.

    Also, knowing from canon that this legacy-hunting all ends up a bit of a shaggy dog/tragic story (most obviously, that Tirek/Scorpan's plans didn't exactly play out as predicted, but also that the Enchantress will, despite semi-noble intentions, have a hand in creating a certain trio of villainesses).

    Note that the only character who gets a "legacy" anywhere near what they wanted is Quartzphere, since the quest to get the Enchantress and save the farmer's daughter is successful. And even he's let down by the realization that the legacy he invested so much in wasn't all it was cracked up to be. It's kind of a dour fic, really.

    No clue whether or not that helps. Probably not, and I'm just repeating what you already know and so have missed the true target. That's my best shot at an explanation, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say any of it didn't land, exactly -- a top-end three is still well above "meh, okay I guess" territory on my scale. But I'm a simple unicorn and I suppose I find fics easier when at some point a character (or the narrator, if they're not a character) does a bit of simple exposition. I know "as you know, Quartzsphere, it all started when..." has its problems to say the least, but working these things out on my own isn't my strong point. I recognise it is others', hence my little comment that the fic could well rate higher for some readers than for me.

      Delete