Tuesday 4 October 2022

Thoughts of a Ponyfic Reviewer 5: We are not the Only True Arbiters of Good Ponyfic

Because anxiety, I have to say this first: this piece has been mostly ready and waiting for me to get it finished for ages. If you're wondering whether it's a subtweet (oh, you know what I mean) at something you said, it isn't.

Today my subject is something I confess I have sometimes struggled to get right. My job as a ponyfic reviewer is partly to give authors constructive feedback but, first and foremost, to help people reading this blog to decide whether they'd like to read any of the stories I cover. It is not to make them feel they're being lectured. For example, consider these two (made-up) summing-up passages from reviews:

  1. "If you can look past its hurried pacing and a number of minor but persistent grammar and spelling errors, this fic may be worth a look if you want an undemanding short read."
  2. "If you have low standards when it comes to pacing and grammar, I guess you may still like this fic."

Although the second passage is the more concise, it's also the poorer summing up. Even if I don't mean it that way, that passage can easily come across as patronising and even sneering. Worse, it suggests that I the reviewer am the Only True Arbiter of Good Ponyfic, and that someone who disagrees with me must surely be doing so because they don't care as much as I do. Nope. Wrong.

Yes, I know it's easy to get frustrated when a story which seems to have glaring flaws becomes enormously popular, to wonder how it is that all those people can't see those flaws when they're staring you in the face. We've all been there. Nevertheless, it's not for us to tell (or even imply to) readers who like that fic that they're doing it wrong. Because they're not. They're not us.

This isn't so far removed from another principle of good reviewing: play the ball, not the man. We can criticise a story all we want, but telling its author outright that they "really need to stop writing this stuff" is a no-no and rightly so.¹ Much the same applies here: again we can criticise a story all we want, but if we shade into condescension towards the people who like it then that's our problem, not theirs.
¹ There are a few exceptions, such as unrepentant plagiarists

The best reviewers can simultaneously point out flaws in a story, even serious flaws, and give those reading its review a good idea of whether they'd be likely to enjoy it anyway. This is the aspect I tend to find the trickiest, since my reviews start from a position of "this is how I feel about it" and are perhaps therefore less... "professional", I suppose, than some other reviewers' assessments.

Still, even if I don't always get the combination right in my own reviews, I do at least acknowledge that it is there. Although some things are outright errors – barring specific context, "Pinky Pie" is one such – it still doesn't mean that a reader has low standards or doesn't care if they nevertheless greatly enjoy a fic that persistently makes those errors. It just means the errors don't put them off too much.

To adapt a common writing adage, as reviewers our main task here is to show our readers what a fic is like, not to tell our readers what they should like. We're writing these reviews for them.

11 comments:

  1. "Yes, I know it's easy to get frustrated when a story which seems to have glaring flaws becomes enormously popular, to wonder how it is that all those people can't see those flaws when they're staring you in the face."

    Aheh... mea culpa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most if not all of us, I think. For what it's worth, the specific example I had in mind was one that applies to me, with the fic being My Little Dashie. Back when I read it (ages ago) I remember wondering how to reconcile its enormous popularity with all the problems I saw in it. I only mention its identity because ROBCakeran53 has written plenty of other stuff I have liked and has acknowledged himself that MLD isn't his best work.

      Delete
  2. Of course you aren't the sole arbiter of taste and quality in ponyfic.

    I am. :V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes. I mean, you didn't say good taste and quality. ;P

      Delete
    2. Good? C'mon! Fart jokes are objectively funny.

      Delete
    3. Well, they're certainly grounds for objection, I'll give you that.

      Delete
  3. Personal taste plays a huge part in reading enjoyment. Good reviewers understand that; bad ones don't. I think a comment I made over on Mike's FiMFic blog is applicable here:

    "I personally loath what I consider to be one of, if not the best-written story I've ever read on this site, dislike a very skilled and popular author's work simply because of the pervasive, poorly-concealed misogyny in most of it, and I love quite a lot of stories that are—well, let's be kind and just say 'unliterary' shall we?

    "I'll take a favorite meal indifferently prepared over an exquisite dish comprised of ingredients I don't care for any day!"

    Good reviewers are valuable to readers. Good critics are valuable to writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather think that (as happens quite often!) you've summed up my waffly ramble much more clearly in a third of the word count. And that last line is great. You see, this is why I (mostly) stick to short reviews. :D

      Delete
  4. I personally dislike having to explicitly state that my reviewing words are only my opinion, that's a given. That said, I for sure recognise a review, especially a not-all-that positive one, can be hard to take. Thus, for me, the approach boils down to never directing criticism directly at the writer, as opposed to the story, without saying why something isn't working as well as it should, and what might be done to improve it. And sure, they may not agree with that advice, but that comes with the territory. Does that mean I'm maybe trying to split the difference between being a reviewer and a critic? Possibly, and probably not well. But I keep those parts in the some mode as the review, so I think they fit.

    As for the larger point about this still being a subjective person's take, not objective fact, I try to hit a balance of presenting what I observe in a straightforward, easy-to-understand manner, stating enough about the fic that readers can pick out things they like. (what iisaw notes, basically), while remaining assured about my take that folks have confidence enough to use my reviews to judge whether fics are worthwhile. It seems to work, as I've periodically gotten comments on fics with ratings that aren't top-tier ones, where someone is well intrigued due to some element I discuss/mention.

    And iisaw is totally right, a favourite meal made adequately is often preferable to a non-ideal one done masterfully. Acknowledging one's bias and owning them helps (I use 'folks more game for x will probably like this best' statements for this on occasion). I think I've done better since I stopped reading and reviewing fics I knew weren't going to fare well (more a quality thing, less genre/story types), and while I will still take leaps outside my comfort zone on occasion for genre/story types, I generally restrict them to more promising looking fics.

    This all was probably word vomit, hopefully some of it came across well! That said, I myself, and I think most of your regulars, like that the reviews here are casual and humble, it sets them apart from others. You handle that very well, and it makes for a greatly affable and cozy Ponyfic reviewing corner here, buddy. Take pride in that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use 'folks more game for x will probably like this best' statements for this on occasion

      The classic example in ponyfic reviewing being Present Perfect's "Recommended if you like..." C (ie Conditional) ratings. That's always been something I've found entertaining in his reviews.

      And thank you for the kind words! I have no intention of stopping PR any time soon, don't you worry about that. I hope you carry on reviewing for as long as you enjoy it, too, as I really like reading yours as well.

      Delete
    2. Recommended for Sneeze Fetishists and People With High Degrees of Self-Loathing! :V

      Delete