Monday 17 October 2022

Griffish Isles 2023 dates released

We interrupt this series of UK PonyCon reports to bring you some Griffish Isles news. Their social media and official site now state that the next GI will take place on 6th and 7th May 2023, and with a theme of "Back to the 80s". A fun choice, I think! The venue will be the Pendulum Hotel in central Manchester, as indeed was the case this year.

This was the weekend I think most people had expected. However, there's an extra factor next year: Saturday 6th May will be Coronation Day. While the demographic that goes to Pony conventions is not the most monarchist in the country, I have already seen people wondering how events in London might affect the one in Manchester.

Think back to the date of the Queen's funeral. A lot of shops, restaurants etc across the country were closed for the whole day, and others for several hours during the service itself. Will this be the case again for the Coronation? What about people flying in from abroad, especially if they're coming via London? And so on.

For myself, I was already rather unlikely to attend Griffish Isles, but I think the clash with the Coronation now makes it very unlikely. Even though I'm not a huge flag-waver either, I'd rather like to experience that event, at least on TV. I nevertheless wish the convention all the best and hope that it puts on a really great show for its attendees.

No comments:

Post a Comment