Sunday 28 August 2022

My PATW photo for 2022: Sunset and the Bull

After a slightly longer gap than I would have liked, I should be back to S6 rewatches tomorrow with "On Your Marks". (As in, I'll watch the episode today and do my write- up tonight, so it will be published tomorrow morning.) In the meantime, here's my single EQD Ponies Around the World 2022 submission. Sunset Shimmer with the huge mechanical bull (yes, he moves – a little) installed temporarily in Centenary Square, Birmingham to mark the city's hosting a few weeks ago of the Commonwealth Games.

For those who don't know the city, bulls are somewhat associated with Birmingham as a major shopping centre is called the Bullring. There is another, non-mechanical and smaller but permanent, bull statue outside that. The mascot of the Commonwealth Games was also a bull, but a rather cuter, cartoonier one named Perry. That name was inspired by Perry Barr, the region of Birmingham that hosts the city's main athletics stadium. The more you know etc etc.

But still. Pony. That's what we're here for, after all!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like this one. Gives me some serious The Last Unicorn vibes with the Red Bull, though the sense of scale evokes more Shadow of the Colossus (is Sunset going to climb that monstrosity and fight it!? :D).

    Something else you might appreciate that I stumbled across: apparently, Birmingham was once host to an elite group known as... the Lunar Society! Wikipedia suggests it was a society of academics who got together to dine and discuss, but I put it to you: why DOES the moon go round? And who made sure it was just the right distance to give us perfect solar eclipses?

    Food for thought, ladies and gentlemen...? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And who made sure it was just the right distance to give us perfect solar eclipses?

      Many months later, I answer: I think it may have been Isaac Asimov who once suggested that, if aliens ever did visit Earth, the surely highly unusual ability to see eclipses the way we do might be a reason.

      Delete