Monday 7 February 2022

Where will Friendship Games fit in?

I'm here talking about its position in the My Little Repeats series. With the first two Equestria Girls films there was no such problem, as they appeared during the gaps between Friendship is Magic seasons. However, Friendship Games did not. That means I have to decide where to slot it in between FiW rewatches. That in turn means I have to decide what I'm going to use as its release date, and that is quite an interesting question!

For convenience I'll use the movie's IMDb releases page. Friendship Games was first shown at the Angelika Film Center on 17th September 2015. Its wider premiere was 26th September, with the US DVD appearing on 13th October. On this side of the Atlantic, Friendship Games was the last EqG film to have a cinema release, and its first day was 23rd October. I saw it myself the following day, and the British DVD appeared on 2nd November.

I think I'm going to disregard the Angelika premiere and use 26th September as my date. My problems don't stop there, however. The 26th was also the release date for a show episode, "Made in Manehattan", and I'm not keen on putting up two rewatches at the same time. I'm going to give the show episode first dibs, since after all Friendship is Magic is the senior series and the one more people tend to be interested in.

So where does that leave me? As far as My Little Reviews is concerned, the series will proceed normally up to and including "Made in Manehattan" (S5E16) and I'll write about Friendship Games after that. Once that's done, I'll go back to FiM and review S517, "Brotherhooves Social". I think that's sorted now. Phew!

3 comments:

  1. Eminently sensible approach. It does explicitly take place around the same time as the Season 5 finale, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's for that reason I personally have it at the end of Season 5, if including EqG in a rewatch at all. Much like the 2017 movie was supposed to release right after Season 7 finished airing, but airing delays on the latter ruined that, I suspect late-game scheduling changes here are to account for Season 5 finishing two months later then it should have to slot up nicely with this.

      Thankfully, after this, EqG never really ties into specific points on FiM's canon – "Mirror Magic" requires Starlight to be Twilight's student, but that's already a given from taking place after this and "The Cutie Re-Mark". Possibly "Spring Breakdown" might require at least a Season 8 timeline, I'd guess the School of Friendship is in the background there. But the only other time there's any crossing to Equestria is "Forgotten Friendship", which lacks time signifiers. Being the point where EqG basically secludes itself off on its own, negating any real benefit from a simultaneous timeline rewatch.

      Delete
    2. True, but I think that's less important for a rewatch series, where I'm assuming everyone's already seen the FiM S5 finale and so there are no potential spoiler issues. As far as the EqG specials go, I'm not sure whether I'll cover the X Magic ones at all, though "Spring Breakdown" will be included. Joy. ;)

      Delete