Tuesday 9 April 2019

Unepic Pony Rap Battles of Equestria: Starlight Glimmer vs Sunset Shimmer

 ( Text link )

I made this. Yes. Me. Just me. That should give you an idea (perhaps "awful warning" would be a better term) about the level of quality you should expect from this. Actually, I don't think the lyrics are bad, though it would have helped if I hadn't made a couple of flubs here and there. Those who've been following both Friendship is Magic and Equestria Girls reasonably closely over the years should recognise the references I slipped in throughout the piece.

The music is... well, "functional" would be a good word. It's literally an extremely simple piano bass line and an (again, extremely simple) repeating drum loop. Again, I wrote both of those from scratch. I am no great musician, and producing a piece like this to a higher standard just isn't something I'm capable of. At least, not without a lot of work that, frankly, I'm not really willing to put in for something silly like this. I don't have suitable music software, in any case. So live with it. :P

A bit of background here. I can't remember exactly, but I think the original idea for doing a silly MLP rap came to me at a meet (or even in the pub during a con) a couple of years ago. However, it was only last autumn that the idea of doing it as a tribute to/parody of the old Epic Pony Rap Battles of Equestria pieces got stuck in my head.* It took ages for me to have a quiet afternoon or two to work on it, but here it is at last. I feel oddly proud of it, if I'm honest.

* The best of which was undoubtedly the BlackGryph0n/EileMonty Iron Will vs Zecora edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment