Saturday 20 April 2019

Griffish Isles 2019: Some places to get food

Last year, I wrote a guide to eating places near UK PonyCon. I'm going to try to do this again now for this year's Griffish Isles convention. It's going to be rather trickier, because the GI location is in a bit of a food desert, but I'll do my best. Note that I don't know the area at all, so I can't vouch for the quality of the non-chain places I mention. Note also that a couple of places on Google maps, eg Chancellors and the Delicious Deli, are not open at weekends.

It's probably best to note that a friend who's lived in Greater Manchester for years says that Ardwick is quite a rough area. I don't think it's anything to be too scared of as long as you're sensible, but it might be an idea not to go wandering about alone after dark. Okay, on to the guide. I've given directions from the daytime venue at the St Thomas Centre, as apparently the evening host at Powerleague does at least have bar snacks.

Click on the name of each eating place to see a Google Maps walking route from the St Thomas Centre. Personally I suspect I'll be going either to the Tesco Express or, if I want hot food, to McDonald's.

1. Convenience stores

Tesco Extra, Esso petrol station, Ardwick Green S, M13 9XF
Open 6am–10pm; 3 mins' walk

Spar, BP petrol station, Chancellor La, M12 6JZ
Open 24 hours; 10 mins' walk

2. Chain restaurants

McDonald's, Stockport Rd, M12 4AB
Open 24 hours; 11 mins' walk

Subway, Stockport Rd, M12 4AB
Open 10am–9pm; 13 mins' walk

NB: both these are on the A6, an extremely busy bus route.

3. Asian food

House of Beijing, Polygon St, M13 9SG (Chinese)
Open midday–10pm; 5 mins' walk
NB: this opened recently; Street View (from 2015) still shows derelict land!

Spicy Grill, Higher Ardwick, M12 6DB (Indian)
Open 11am–4pm

No comments:

Post a Comment