Monday 8 April 2019

Episode review: S9E01/02: "The Beginning of the End"

Luna, Starswirl and Celestia looking angry and firing magic beams to the bottom right of the screen
A thrilling image – one that has surprisingly little to do with the main plot
After all the build-up, Friendship is Magic Season 9 is go! With a little tinge of sadness this time around, as "The Beginning of the End" was a pretty spot-on title. This is the last time we will ever see a season premiere for FiM, though (unless something very odd happens) not for My Little Pony as a whole. It was written by the Lady Writers, Joanna Lewis and Kristine Songco, making their first writing appearance since "The Perfect Pear". That was encouraging for many of us. After the break, we'll see whether that confidence was well founded.

One minor tweak to the review format this season: I've stolen one of Present Perfect's ideas and added my nominations for the best and worst moments of the episode. You'll find those near the end, just after the continuing "Best quote" section, though that's now been rechristened "Best line". Right, then – off we go!

For the most part, this was very good stuff. There was a lot to take in, and I'm not going to try to cover every last detail. Feel free to bring up anything I missed in the comments. I said straight after first viewing, and still feel now, that "The Beginning of the End" was my third favourite of the FiM premieres, after the almost inevitable "The Return of Harmony" and "The Cutie Map". I don't think this was an absolute cast-iron classic, but it was often immensely enjoyable.

This will divide opinions, but I was glad to see the focus here firmly on the Mane Six. While I don't want the other characters to be ignored, I do think S9 should mainly be a celebration of the show's central characters. (I'd like a little more for Spike to do, though, as he's also been there since the start.) I appreciated that Lewis and Songco gave all of them at least something to say or do that stuck in the memory. That's something not all writers seem to manage.

The Mane Six, floating and with white eyes, use the Elements. Twilight fires a rainbow of light to the bottom right of the screen
A Rainbow of Light seems in keeping with the G1 callbacks in this premiere
I'm really not sure how I feel about the Celestia-and-Luna-retiring-but-not plot. While it's of course true that Lauren Faust intended Twilight to take over from Celestia, she (Faust) hasn't been a part of the show for a long time now. The setup seemed a bit contrived: we never really got an answer to why the princesses felt the need to send an urgent summons for an event that, by their own admission, wouldn't have taken place for a few more days. Or why the ponies ran rather than teleporting from the station.

Still, everypony was overtaken by events at this point, what with Tirek and Cozy's predictable return, Chrysalis returning too, the less foreshadowed restoration (by Grogar, who I'll get to in a minute) of Sombra and the last-named's attack on the Crystal Empire. I have to say that I was a little unimpressed with Cadance and Shining Armor, the latter of whom after all held off a full-scale changeling invasion of Canterlot for quite some while. That said, Sombra did choose his target well: Flurry Heart was always going to be the Royal Couple's weak spot. Also, Cadance's reaction on arriving late for the big battle was amusing.

The big villain reveal, though, was the one who brought Sombra back from the... well, the whatever state he was in: Grogar. His name was mentioned in passing in "A Flurry of Emotions" two seasons ago, as was fellow G1 character Gusty's, but here he was in the flesh at last. I was pretty impressed by Grogar. While it wasn't entirely clear why he was powerful as he was, he really did pack a punch. His reaction to Sombra's... second death (itself pretty brutal) was ice-cold, and Grogar carried a real sense of menace throughout.

Close-up of Grogar's angry face as he looks (down and right) at Cozy Glow. Sombra half-hidden behind Grogar's shoulder on our left
"I'm surrounded by idiots!"
The main supporting character this time was Discord. I'm not a massive Discord fan, and I think he's sometimes overused, but he played a pretty solid role in this episode. The way he flung himself in front of Fluttershy to protect her was affecting, even if we later discovered that he hadn't been disabled in the way he pretended. Most intriguing to me, though, was a half-second sad glance he gave when Rainbow mentioned not knowing what they [the Mane Six] would do without him. That screamed foreshadowing.

It's always nice (at least for me) to see the Elements of Harmony again, and we even got a full-on use of them in this episode, too. However, the Elements didn't last very long – and neither, even more shockingly (to those who managed to avoid spoilers!), did the Tree of Harmony itself. (Herself?) But our heroes still won through. Discord's manipulation turned out to be simply a way to get the ponies to believe in themselves as heroes and to remember that, in Equestria, the phrase "friendship is magic" is literally true.

This is where I spend a little time complaining. There isn't that much to seriously quibble about in this premiere, but the breathless pace of most of it did mean that some plot points were rather skated over. As well as the retirement announcement I've already touched on, we never got a real explanation of why Grogar – who Tia and Luna surely knew of – was able to spirit the other villains out of Tartarus. Equestria's prison once again seems rather insecure. Also, "Twilight freaks out" is perhaps happening a little too often these days.

Apple Bloom looks at the camera with blank, light green eyes. Twilight behind her left shoulder. Ominous brown sky
This is somewhat reminiscent of the very first IDW comic
Still, these things are probably going to be most annoying for fans who still expect Friendship is Magic to be the show it was in 2012 – and as I said last year, it's simply not that show any more. I suspect that for most of the rest of us, who've either embraced or at least accepted the modern order of things, "The Beginning of the End" was, if not a triumph, at least a thoroughly entertaining 44 minutes. Right now, I'm feeling pretty darn optimistic about what lies ahead, and that can't be bad.

Finally... what are the odds that the finale will be called "The End of the Beginning"?

Best line: Rainbow (on Celestia and Luna) : "If you think about it, they almost never help."
Best moment: Tirek flicking away Cozy. About time someone did that
Worst moment: Rainbow apparently forgetting about Scootaloo

Yays
  • Never a dull moment
  • Grogar carried a real sense of menace
  • The Mane Six being the focus
  • Decent use of Discord
  • Celestia and Luna doing something!
Neighs
  • Fast pacing did occasionally feel rushed
  • Twilght doesn't have to be neurotic every time
  • Cadance and Shining were fairly useless

18 comments:

  1. I'm figuring on just "The End". :B

    Yaknow, if there's one thing that I would've changed in this, it would probably be the Everfree reveal. It should have gone more "With the Tree gone, the Everfree Forest can take over the town!", cue commercial, come back to them going, "This is just great, we can't save our friends and Ponyville" and then you hear "That's why we're here!" and get that short, cool scene with Celestia, Luna and Star Swirl (because he does make a big reveal, it's important), cut to the mane six heading for Canterlot. With the epic gardening action taken out, we could have an extra scene in Canterlot or the Crystal Empire to buttress Sombra's invasion, just a little.

    I think I'd put this premiere fourth overall (I do so like the pilot), but that's still not a bad place to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pilot is a bit of a special case for me; I'm not sure I can easily rank it with the others. I might place it fourth, but I'm not sure.

      Delete
  2. I would have found Sombra's method of conquering annoying if we hadn't already known to expect it from his appearance in the S5 finale. At least he continued to play up the "fear" motif. (I'm still not going to stop voicing him like Crispin Freeman as Alucard when we read the comics, though.)

    What did bother me, though, was the resolution -- it seems like it's going in the direction of less of the clever, sense-making strategizing, and more of the generic friendship and confidence powering-up. Less JoJo's and more any other shounen series, for lack of a better analogy.

    But everyone barely tolerating Cozy? That was funny. And we already know we're getting more of it (at least in episode 8, "Frenemies"). I kind of hope that at some point she gets to show the others just why Grogar thinks she's worth keeping around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less JoJo's and more any other shounen series

      That went completely over my head, I'm afraid! I'm sure everyone else who read this gets the point, though.

      Delete
  3. I'd personally give this a star less than you do. It's not just the pacing - there are scenes I'm just not comfortable watching. (It's a criticism I can level at the only premiere I'd place below it, too - "The Return of Harmony".) It wasn't bad - far from it: but after all the hype, it was a bit of a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are scenes I'm just not comfortable watching

      Might I ask why? I can understand if your problem with "The Return of Harmony" is seeing the Mane Six behaving directly counter to their Elemental characters. I take the more common view that "TRoH" is superb, but I can see the reason why it might make people uncomfortable. But that doesn't seem to apply for S9.

      Delete
    2. It's difficult to explain. There have always been scenes I've been uncomfortable with - "Sonic Rainboom" and "Sweet and Elite" are others that suffer badly from it. (In the case of those episodes, one rates 121st on my list, and the other is in last place.) And no, it's not seeing the Mane Six behaving counter to their traits that does it in the S2 premiere - although that doesn't help. It's more an instinctive thing, though: something just feels wrong, and it brings my enjoyment of an episode to a sudden jarring halt. (Or, in the case of "Sweet and Elite", prevents me from growing to like it in the first place.)

      It's hard to explain with this one, but I'm aware of not being comfortable with the episode on at least three separate occasions - one of which was almost bad enough to make me stop watching altogether. I'd actually have rated the episode even lower, were it not for the final showdown with Sombra. But it does mean it's an episode I didn't enjoy as much as I should have.

      Delete
    3. Fair enough. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

      Delete
  4. Best line for me was Cozy saying, "Grogar? Doesn't ring a bell." Which is hilarious if you've watched the G1 Grogar episodes: His magic was tied up in a giant bell.

    One of the only negatives of the episode for me was Twilight's drawn-out panic. Yes, she certainly had a reason for most of it, but it got very repetitious. Still, I suspect that it might be a set up in contrast to the finale. Which will be the Big Bad attack, and Twilight will not panic then, thus showing her growth as a leader and earning her place as Equestria's sovereign.

    Wondering if the Tree of Harmony is fundamentally nicer than Twilight & Co. The Elements just blasted Sombra to shadows, but the girls on their own... kinda shredded him!

    All things considered, I'd give it four stars as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Grogar? Doesn't ring a bell."

      *facehoof* I've watched the entire G1 series in the last year or so. How could I have missed that? It was surely a deliberate reference.

      Delete
  5. Seems fair. My take here doesn't stray too far from yours, though mildly less positive. 3rd best premiere is silly, and I really feel this won't hold up well to rewatching all that much. It's lasting legacy for me will come down to how well the season builds upon the great foundations laid here - the Grogar scenes were my favourite thing here, if you couldn't guess. Who doesn't love a good villain? Even if I don't care for Cozy at all and Tirek is merely mildly good for me.

    Still, I was very thoroughly entertained and didn't have much in the way of quibbles while I was watching it. That'll more then do. That it set up the season's potential in the best way since Season 4's Keys, maybe even better, is just the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3rd best premiere is silly

      *Applejack-style slowly raised eyebrow* A lot of things I say are silly. Sometimes deliberately so. But going through the premieres in my head... yep, this one is still third for me. If I were ranking them, I think S2 and S5 would have a clear lead, then it would be S9, S1, S4 and S3 (in retrospect) very close. S7 is an odd duck as it wasn't the usual two-parter, so I'd put that next. I'm not a big fan of "School Daze" except insofar as it introduced the Young Six, so that comes second-last, but the S6 premiere is definitely the winner of the wooden spoon. I really don't find it all that interesting.

      Delete
  6. Dash not at all mentioning Scootaloo as the worst moment? I found it pretty funny. Even had me wondering if it was deliberate, but that's probably too much to hope for.

    It did feel like they were trying to cover too much material to give it all ample attention, and with them wasting time on that unproductive battle against the forest, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't go taking my choices for Best/Worst moments entirely seriously. At least, not always.

      Delete
  7. I think i have to say it...
    ...Sombra, The Shadow Dies Twice. XD

    His death should be the final warnings for remaining villains in this show. There are 3 thing:
    . Dont be arrogant when you are winning
    . Dont reveal yourself too soon, work in the shadow is better because the Element decide to kill you this time.
    . Dont laugh at the heroes, just kill them.
    Just a few tips to be an efficient villain (not necessary the entertaining one).

    It's good to get back to ponies once again. The season 9 so far is promising. The premiere is entertain to watch, the dialogues are funny, Lauren vision is fullfill, characters are well-placed, full of high-stakes, big amounts of villains. Only thing that hold the episodes back is Sombra. His voice is lame compare to his last episode, his attitude is annoying, that dude look best when he acts than talks, i bet some people will be disappointed by his final appearance. Still a very solid episode, i still rate School Daze above this ep even it didnt have high-stakes and villains (unpopular opinion, i guess).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only thing that hold the episodes back is Sombra.

      Well, at least he shouldn't be a problem again. ;)

      Delete
  8. I've already posted my review on the final series premiere, but to keep it short, I didn't think it was as great as people said it was, mostly because it didn't quell my concerns about the writing being stagnant.

    However, it does a good enough job of keeping you wondering what will happen next, the characterization is spot on, and the theme, whilst not entirely original either, was fine. So yeah; I rank it as average-good.

    On a side note, should it be done, I don't think there may be a lot to work with for this episode's edition on Text Review Roundup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Text Review Roundup is online, right here. Somewhat to my surprise, I found 12 reviews (including mine), which is a healthy number.

      Delete