Tuesday 22 October 2019

Text Review Roundup: "The Last Problem"

And also the last Text Review Roundup – for some considerable while, at least. (I don't do TRRs for the Equestria Girls specials, so "Holidays Unwrapped" won't get one.) Even if I do end up resurrecting this feature for G5, I may tweak it a little – in particular, removing my one/two-word value judgements and letting reviewers' words speak for themselves. (Of course, which words I choose to quote will still be subjective!)

Anyway, how did "The Last Problem" fare? I'll be honest, the first time I skimmed a few reviewers' thoughts, I hit on the negative ones and thought they were representative. I'm therefore having to revise my opinion on that even as I write up this TRR. That said, the praise was certainly not universal, and in a few cases maybe it's hard to separate the reviewer's praise for the episode with their praise for the series. My own mixed view was below the average.

Bubble Blabber – positive (rated 9/10; "Seeing Twilight, Spike, and everyone else as aging adults is strange and instantly makes me feel nostalgic, which is exactly what I want in a final episode [...] the show treated this like how a finale should be treated: not being afraid to finalize arcs, fulfill fans wishes, and put a capstone on characters journeys as they move on and grow older.")

Cuddlepug – very positive (graded A; "wraps everything up in a way that “The Ending of the End” wasn't able to do [...] gives us the answers we wanted and ties everything together neatly [...] Seeing all the characters years on, looking tired but still conversing as good friends, is rewarding")

Dark Qiviut – very positive ("The moral is excellent in concept and better than excellent in execution [...The song is] emotional, hopeful, and beautiful [...] A magnificent cap to a great, successful show!")

DrakeyC – positive ("much better [than eps 24/25] I laughed very frequently [...] I liked the grown-up designs for the cast [...] all the ships are canon and they have kids and I don't care how much pandering it is, I ate it up and want seconds. And the final song was great, great seeing all the cast, and very touching and warm.")

Dramamaster829 – broadly positive ("I did felt my heart-strings tugged seeing the way this episode was written out. Sure we got to see the typical ‘Anything can and will go wrong’ coronation that still works out [and] the introduction of Luster Dawn was random [but] overall the ending with the book closing as a nod to how the show started… That hit me hard.")

JDPrime22 – very positive (rated 10/10; "God, I cried. [...] Pinkie married Cheese Sandwich and had a kid. I cried. Applejack was wearing Granny Smith's scarf. I cried. The ponies we grew up loving and laughing with are finally older and living their lives. I cried. [...] Phenomenal finale.")

Louder Yay – mixed (rated 3/5; "If you consider this thing simply as an episode of an animated children's show, then I don't think it's especially impressive [...] However. However. It's not "simply" any such thing, not to me [...] I'm not at all fond of [all the shipping, but the song] really fitted for me [and] The very end of "The Last Problem" brings us easily the epilogue's best moments.")

Mike Cartoon Pony – very negative ("if you think Spike’s future design is the worst issue, you haven’t seen anything yet [... The flashback stuff is] typical lightweight Season 9 fluff [...] a catchall bucket marked “it’s a fun Epilogue, indulge your reckless side normally kept tampered, FiM staff”. The end result is like stepping forth into somebody else’s migraine [...] I stand by this Epilogue being Canon In Name Only [...] the fanservice moments are not things fans need, even if they think they do")

MLEEP Reviews – very positive (rated 10/10; "an emotional final farewell to the series with our final song of the season as well as the entirety of the series [...] man was it a powerhouse of a final farewell")

Present Perfect – mixed ("That was... okay. [...] The final sequence with the song was fantastic, my friend and I were literally just shouting at the screen the things which we were seeing [...] I hate two of the ships they canonized [...] the last few minutes of The Final Problem were even a fitting and perhaps beautiful finale for MLP:FiM, but overall? As an episode? It was just okay.")

SuperPinkBrony12 – positive ("The Last Problem I'm willing to give it an A+ just on account of how well it wrapped things up, maybe it's not what some of us would've preferred but all things considered I don't think we could've asked for a much better send off than that.")

The Railfan Brony – extremely negative (rated Atrocious; "Literally the first thing I said after watching it was, "that's it?" I'm not even joking [...] I genuinely feel sorry for the voice actors and animators that all of their amazing talent was wasted on this.")

TheDragonWarlock – positive (rated 9/10; "falls a little short of being perfect. It comes damn close to it though [...] It's got a great story, the characters are all well written, its has a fantastic song, and a moral that everyone can relate to and learn [...] sends the show off on a very high note.")

11 comments:

  1. I'm gonna go with "If you like AppleDash, Fluttercord or CheesePie, you like the finale". :B Not even gonna pretend like I wasn't majorly bummed about the shipping for quite a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a rule that does seem to hold in many cases! I was meh about the shipping and (apart from the end) meh about the episode. Mike Cartoon Pony was very harsh on the shipping (even more so if you read his full review) and very negative about the episode. DrakeyC loved the shipping and loved the episode. So yeah, as a rule of thumb it may well work!

      Delete
    2. I know some people are not overly crazed about the shipping deal, as for me I'm kind of in the middle. While I won't make a big fuss over seeing a pair together, I personally can only see the potential if only it wasn't just out of fan demand. Sure we've seen a few instances where we see how the chemistry could work and we do need to take in mind that between the multi-something years when their older many things could've happened before they decided to get hitched. I will admit I'm still indecisive as to whether I am seeing a legit couple out of Applejack and Rainbow Dash or if they are just like those bunkmates doing favors. But I would like to believe that's where all the fanfics can pop up.

      Now I get where most people are coming from: Had there been more of a build-up either in later seasons or if there were more subtle hints or an episode worth exploring how these things happened, maybe some fans would understand why the studio decided to go for it. Me I saw the whole Fluttercord thing coming for miles (I can never picture anyone else for Fluttershy, though the Discord/Celestia hints were prominent) and Pinkie & Cheese... Yeah it makes sense to put them together (I personally prefer this over the other cheese pairing in 'Foster's Home'... Yeah that was a bad joke). Now A.J. and Dash on the other hand... There are so many ways to explain what makes us assume they'd be an item, considering the other times they've paired A.J. with Rarity. Both members of the Appledash pairing are portrayed by the same actress, they are competitive toward each other, they often butt heads at times, and they do have a sense of loyalty in a way. I guess I'm just indifferent about it with the mindset of 'Anything that makes them happy, pleases me'.

      Delete
    3. Perhaps, though I wouldn’t say the shipping is why the episode was as poor as it was. It’s a symptom of the episode’s quality, rather then a cause.

      I don’t care for shipping much in the show itself (and in fanfic mostly if the story’s quality and sells it, generally), though that’s not why it blows here, nor that it invalidates many other ships. It blows because they appear out of nowhere with no buildup in the show prior, the staff show only the facts of the various ships without any details or substance to it whatsoever, and most damningly, remain cryptic and vague with two of them so that “the fans can interpret it how they want”. The worst part about that is they the staff want to be clear, but are being vague either because they misunderstand the wants and needs of viewers, or are afraid of bad viewer reaction if they were clear, and therefore are vague so they have an out. Same embryonic issue as that which results in the egotistical nature of many of the writers as regards downplaying stuff prior to Season 8. Oh, and it’s lazy writing. But, it’s all there in my review to be seen.

      The shipping part’s over quick enough, though, so it’s not the worst issue of the episode. For worst issue, I’d have trouble picking between the horrible future designs of Spike and Twilight, the weak-sauce flashback half, throwing Celestia and Luna under the bus like that, Twilight’s friends not ruling with her like they were supposed to, going back on Twilight not outliving her friends, and oh so many more. I must repeat the quote Logan very generously printed above: “The end result is like stepping forth into somebody else’s migraine.”

      But, of course, anyone’s welcome to love this episode, and it’s great many people are suitably moved by it, even if the things in the episode that do so - the song and final shots, mostly - could have worked in a totally different Epilogue episode with minimal change. I do believe the episode will be regarded more weakly once the euphoria of the show ending has faded.

      I’m a bit surprised there weren’t more negative reviews in this TRR, to be honest. It does prove how much the show has touched a lot of these reviewers to their core, and that is wonderful.

      Still, it’s not my worst episode of Season 9 - the touching moments don’t count for nothing, and the flashback half is disposable but not nearly as “wtf” as the future half. It just makes so many harebrained decisions that I can only respond to with “why?” that I have no choice but to treat it as Canon In Name Only (CINO, go crazy with that abbreviation).

      Delete
    4. Not sure whether you've encountered the term, but on Fimfiction, that sort of not-built-up relationship is often referred to as Alien Shipping Syndrome. Described by Chuckfinley as "a malady in romances where chemistry does not occur through shared interests, personal magnetism, or personality traits, but is instead instilled by parasitic brain worms".

      Delete
  2. And no longer does Railfan have to torture himself with episode after episode that he hates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if I'm late to the show, but I didn't find your joke funny in the slightest.

      Delete
    2. @Pasocite You could learn to respect others' opinions, ya know.

      Delete
  3. Dragon Warlock here.

    I got to say, it's been fun being part of this TRR. Whenever G5 does come out, I will take a look at it and hope it's just as good as FiM was. In the meantime, the comics have promised season 10, so to say, so hopefully they cover some of the stuff the show never got around to doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like a very good approach to take. I'm not yet sure how I'll feel about the "Season 10" comics, but we'll see.

      Delete