Saturday 5 October 2019

So, what do we think about this?

Picture from this EqD post, but as it's a promo I'll stick it here too
I think most people expected that the IDW comics would be continuing after the end of the TV series – but going all-out with a bold "Season 10" title? No, that I didn't see coming at all. I haven't really read the comics since about issue 50, which was... um... quite a while ago now, but I suppose I might pick up at least the odd issue of the "new" series. Note that I have not yet seen past S9E22, so with that in mind, please keep any finale/epilogue spoilers out of the comments here! Thanks. :)

This is an initial gut reaction, so it may well change, but I'm not entirely keen. I'd got myself used to the fact that S9 would be the end of the main FiM timeline, and I'd assumed that any further comics would be side stories or historical stuff like FIENDship. I'm ready to start looking forward to G5 now. Obviously I still can, but the continuing existence of this "S10" is bound to overshadow that to some extent. I just hope it doesn't mean Hasbro will keep us waiting for ages before releasing even a sniff of a G5 teaser.

And now I come to think about it, what about ponyfic? The official line on the comics has always been "They're canon until contradicted by the show" – but now they'll never be. Does that new state of affairs upgrade the comics to "primary canon" or are people going to continue to treat them as extended universe? I'm pretty sure that I'm going to treat the comics' "S10" as expendable, in the same way that I have with the IDW issues for the past three years or so. This is interesting – but it's not the show.

5 comments:

  1. If it's Katie Cook and Andy Price doing them, I'll buy and consider them canon. Otherwise... meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Price is definitely in -- obviously he drew that banner, but he's also mentioned somewhere on Twitter that he's drawing for this. Haven't seen any indication that Cook is returning, though I don't follow comics news closely these days.

      Delete
  2. When I first heard the word that this new set of comics would have 'Season 10' practically stamped on the cover, I just couldn't find myself thinking this is legit. Since the very start of Season 9, it was hyped up to be the final season, where everything is coming to an end, most of the bigger stories are getting some closure, there is one last opposing threat to Equestria to deal with, and then no more adventures. It's going to be a bittersweet ending this upcoming Saturday but at least I prepared for the show to end. In the back of my mind, I felt there was hardly a need to make these next set of comics and title them 'Season 10', as if it's just to troll with the fans and make them buy their products because really... Why should the stories have to continue for a show that is going to be over? But then... But then another thought came to my mind.

    Just because FIM is ending it's run on television, with Season 9 being the last televised event, who says that FIM has to end at all? With 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and 'The X-Files' having made comics to continue where the show left off, of course MLP would want to do the same if they would feel there's money to be made. The only reason I would even think to allow these comics to be called 'Season 10' is because somewhere down the line there's bound to be a few stories that were left out that fans wanted to see. Somewhere there are stories that still need some closure, characters backgrounds that should still be explored, perhaps a few villains that would've been considered for a television run but were passed over, and maybe if there's more for the ponies before they are destined to meet their life's purpose then what could 'possibly' happen in-between that certain period? And besides, if it's possible 'Equestria Girls' will still continue then how fair would it be for the fans to have to wait two or so years for a new Gen to start airing their own series when they can have something that would convince them to actually 'buy' a comic series that's often been hit-and-miss?

    If anything, this is just an excuse for people to buy the comics which some people like and the others... Well, not so much. All I hope for is that to call it 'Season 10' it's not a gamble that could end HORRIBLY wrong. Because if people do buy these comics but it's not the way they were hoping for, chances are there's going to be a ton of angry emails toward the writers for tricking them into it (Even if they did it to themselves by buying the material in the first place).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll probably be better-written, with more continuity and less "derp, I forgot how to story", than the show was toward the end.

    ReplyDelete