Tuesday 8 October 2019

Pony Music Library 61: "Memory Lane"

I bet some of you thought I was finished with this series! Nope. I just kept forgetting about it, or having other things on my mind, or needing to post episode reviews, or doing "Sounds of 2012" instead. (On which note, I should have a scheduled So2012 post appearing over the weekend.) But even though it's almost six months since the last PML induction, I'm going to bring back the series right now, and with something thematically rather appropriate, I feel:


What? "Memory Lane"

Who? Forest Rain

Which? Fandom song cover

When? February 2012

Why? Yes, I featured this as part of "Sounds of 2012" just last month, but I really do like it enough to induct it here as well. Many people these days don't realise that it's not a Forest Rain original: it's a cover of a gentler acoustic original by Osoth. However, I do like Forest Rain's version more – okay, I like most things she does – thanks to its additional touches, faster pace and infectious beat. It also carries a message that I feel has extra resonance as we face the end of Friendship is Magic. Yes, "No matter if you're underwing" is a slightly strange line (in a song this old, it's unlikely to be a reference to Scootaloo's disability) but I don't think it harms the track. "You just gotta walk that path again, and you can smile, smile, smile" and "where the hurtful and the hateful cannot fly" are much more important. This song reminds us that the happiness we've gained from My Little Pony won't go away. We just have to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment