Tuesday 22 March 2016

Comic mini-review: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #40

IDW My Little Pony comic issue #40 main cover
Brenda Hickey's main cover is itself a lot of fun
The latest My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comic from IDW is something a bit different from the epic, multi-part adventures we've often associated with the main series. This time around, it's a one-shot in which Ted Anderson and Brenda Hickey combine to give us a sweet little tale of just how Twilight came to look after Spike in the first place. It's quite adorable, and the artwork is bright and colourful, too. In truth, this reads a bit more like a Friends Forever issue than something from the main series, but never mind. It's on the three-star/four-star boundary, but in the end I was sufficiently charmed by it to give it the higher rating. ★★★★

5 comments:

  1. I didn't buy the last two issues, because as I've mentioned before, I've been left so underwhelmed by many of the recent issues. And judging from your reviews for those, it seems I wasn't missing all that much. However, based on what you said here, I may well have to track down this issue when I get chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it -- the reason it didn't score higher was largely that Celestia seems a bit off in places, but Twilight and Spike are great. :)

      Delete
  2. A lot of people complained about Celestia's characterization here from what I read on EQD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let that slide, because I didn't think it was very important in terms of the issue as a whole. If I start being fussy about everything, I'll never like anything and that's not a way I want to go.

      Delete
    2. I guess...

      I found out about #43 and it looks really interesting.

      Delete