Friday 25 March 2016

Comic mini-review: Friends Forever #26: Shining Armor and Blueblood

MLP Friends Forever comic #26 sub cover
The Sub cover is by Sara Richard. Of course I bought it!
Before I get on to the review, a PSA: I'll be away over the Easter break, so although I will (I hope) get to see the start of Season Six on time, the premiere review will be a few days late. So don't worry: it'll be late, yes, but it will be up before the following weekend!

Thanks to yet more messing about with release dates, the latest Friends Forever comic came out on the same day as main-series issue #40. And no, I still don't understand how something as dysfunctional as the comics industry stays in business. Bad news to start off with: it's only 20 pages. Why it's two short I don't know, but I hope that doesn't become the norm. Anyway, Jeremy Whitley, Tony Fleecs and Heather Breckel look a promising team and so it proves here. You really need to find Blueblood's character amusing to enjoy this comic, but if you do then you probably will. The story moves along at a good pace, the artwork is good and there's a nice little twist. (Also a potential loose end to be picked up by a longer arc sometime...) This was a really good read, and it rates a strong four. Easily recommended. ★★★★

2 comments:

  1. I have several friends that work in the comics industry, and I can tell you that from their level, it is a miracle that comics stay afloat. I'm not sure what the deal is, but comics companies always see to be run by people who are wholly unqualified to run a business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting insight; thanks. All I can say is that, in other parts of the publishing game, a monthly periodical that couldn't keep a consistent release schedule would be out of business well inside a year. Comics seem to be uniquely awful on this particular point, and it's a huge problem for non-traditional comics buyers (like me).

    ReplyDelete