Tuesday 25 June 2019

Episode review: S9E13: "Between Dark and Dawn"

I do wonder whether the FlimFlams' problems have something to do with Capper
And here we are. Although there's a special coming down the tracks pretty soon, "Between Dark and Dawn" was the last regular episode of Friendship is Magic before our last ever mid-season hiatus. This one saw a new writer: Gail Simone. Although she's new to My Little Pony, many comic-book fans will be familiar with her from her work on Birds of Prey, Batgirl and so on. How would she fare with a TV-Y kids' show? Well...

...quite honestly, I'm not entirely sure how to review this one. It was odd, and in both good and bad ways. This started out in the cold open with the Tortoisnap (sp?) – which was blatantly inspired by the Torterra Pokémon, and somehow managed to feel out of place in an Equestria full of weird creatures. What was even odder was that after this initial scene, the episode entirely forgot about it until it was brought back for about three seconds late on.

The main plot seemed a bit more promising, and I briefly thought I might get what I've always wanted in the show: an actual adventure starring Celestia – I'd have been fine with Luna coming along too, but most of you know that Celestia is Best Princess to me! Instead, after a bit of teasing, we ended up following them as they went off on holiday for a bit of quality sister time together. To nobody's surprise, they ended up arguing and getting on each other's nerves.

"The bag's for Philomena. She really wanted to come along"
Something unequivocally good we got out of this episode was its song. "Lotta Little Things" was a Celestia/Luna duet and boy was it entertaining. There were definite echoes, whether conscious on Daniel Ingram's part or not I don't know, of Starlight and Trixie's duet last season. I can't yet decide which I find the catchier, but this one may actually have the edge. (Let's gently skirt around the fact that Aloma Steele, excellent singer as she is, doesn't sound that much like Luna...)

The animation that accompanied the song was also great fun, largely for the number of cameos that were included. Some were more interesting to me than others; I'd pick out a down-on-their-luck Flim and Flam – I wonder if we'll ever know the story behind that? We also saw Discord and the Smooze, and Gilda and Gabby. But the big talking point was probably the blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance of Capper. Although the movie was already show canon, this was the first time a character had actually appeared in the regular cartoon.

I quite like the reasons given for Celestia and Luna's different approaches to time off, though I'm not entirely sure how well they fit with what we learned in "A Royal Problem". Still, Luna wanting to do workaday stuff because of her experiences with ponies' intense dreams does make sense, and it did lead to one of the episode's most amusing scenes. It was slightly surprising that Derpy didn't get any speaking lines, given that she's voiced by Tabitha St. Germain like Luna, but it still made me chuckle. A nice way of doing the old "Luna doesn't understand modern life" trope we used to see a lot in old-time ponyfic.

"I'm sorry, Princess, but pink Smooze is just not done"
While all this was going on, the Mane Six and Spike were trying to set up the Royal Swannifying Ceremony. This was doubtless based on the real-life Swan Upping, though it's hard to tell as we never get much actual detail about the Equestrian event. I was a bit confused by the way the swans acted more like geese, but there were other problems with this secondary storyline too. Twilight really should not need to learn yet again how to delegate, for a start. It might have been reasonable in S3 six years ago, but in S9 it's really pushing it.

And then there was Fancy Pants. I simply don't understand why writers have chosen to characterise him so unattractively in recent years. To my mind, he was at his best way back in "Sweet and Elite", when he was a thorn in the side of the Canterlot snob set. Now, as we see in "Between Dark and Dawn", he seems to have joined them. Mind you, Canterlot itself clearly has some problems these days, given the existence of an entirely unexplained street sweepers' strike.

Oddly, it seems that Gail Simone does have a fair idea of FiM's history: that scene in the cold open with Twilight delegating (oh yes she was!) responsibility to deal with the Tortoisnap was so reminiscent of a similar scene way back in "Dragonshy" that I struggle to believe it was pure coincidence. On the other hand, this episode did have New Writer Syndrome in that there were quite a few things that didn't fit smoothly into the established "feel" of the show.

Middle row, extreme left: that's Dipper Pines' hat!
As for the ending... well, there wasn't one, really. Twilight's difficulty with the Sun and Moon wasn't solved; we just saw Celestia and Luna swooping in to sort it out. You'd think Twi would have done some, y'know, research in, y'know, books to find out what she was supposed to do. Or maybe asked Sunburst, since he was around. The Royal Sisters' moral would also have been more interesting if it had been something like "You don't have to spend all your time doing the same stuff as your sister to still love her."

"Between Dark and Dawn" is a really difficult episode for me to score. Considered as a near-standalone cartoon, it's a lot of fun with a brisk pace and colourful animation. It also has one of the best songs in recent years. On the debit side of the ledger, it plays so fast and loose with established canon that at times it barely seems Pony at all. I think I'd give it four stars for pure entertainment but just two for deeper satisfaction. That averages out at three stars. We've had a lot of those lately.

Best line: Pinkie Pie: "Ooh! That's not a terrifying level of responsibility or anything!"
Best moment: Mount Fillymanjaro is canon now!
Worst moment: Twilight insisting that asking for help is a sign of weakness

Yays
  • A full-on Royal Sisters episode (well, mostly)
  • Fantastic song, including some great cameos
  • Luna's scene in the Post Office
  • Plenty of entertainment, if often fairly superficial entertainment
Neighs
  • Very strange, almost non-MLP vibe at times
  • Fancy Pants' continued character regression
  • A rather dull, confused secondary plot
  • Slightly underwhelming moral
★★★

22 comments:

  1. I felt similar complaints about the giant tortoise being relevant and then only again for a gag later on, though anything that reminds me of Torterra is ultimately a good time.

    Mostly in agreement here - the episode's weirdness is rarely to its benefit, and while the song is definitely a standout, the episode often sacrifices character for laughs, making for confusing characterisation. To say nothing of how it straight up dies whenever it check in on the secondary plot (and the less said about poor Fancy PAnts, the better). This episode might have fared a lot better as a two-parter split a lá 'Just For Sidekicks' and 'Games Ponies Play', as well as not being assigned to a writer hired to go nuts with this episode, which is certainly what we got. Even if a lot of people seem happy with the Royal Sisters stuff in this one, I can't see it living on as a fandom classic, and I rather really like 'A Royal Problem', warts and all.

    Also, different singing actress for Luna rather then Kazumi Evans. Huh.

    Finally, someone needs to screencap that image of Twilight saying "So THIS is how you rule Equestria!" with:
    "...Princess, I'm afraid you've gone mad with power."
    "Of course I have - you ever tried going mad without power? It's boring, no one listens to you."
    Bonus points to anyone who gets the reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a Pokémon fan, so I was a little surprised I got the reference at all! But it really didn't seem to fit Equestria.

      This episode might have fared a lot better as a two-parter split a lá 'Just For Sidekicks' and 'Games Ponies Play'

      That's an interesting idea. It's a very long time since I've watched those episodes, and I wasn't hugely enamoured of them when I did -- but the parallel-episodes concept is something I like.

      I rather really like 'A Royal Problem', warts and all.

      Oh, I love that episode. I should think it has a shot at my all-time top 20, though I wouldn't like to be too definite.

      Also, different singing actress for Luna rather then Kazumi Evans. Huh.

      Yes -- Steele also sang for Luna in "A Hearth's Warming Tail".

      Delete
    2. Very surprising you got it - Torterra's not exactly a poster boy for Pokemon and doesn't seem like one non-fans would be familiar with. Well, excepting their role in a scene in the recent Detective Pikachu movie, of course. Still, as Scintilla pointed out, Tortoisnap was almost certainly more of a general World Turtle homage. It's worth making a homage to, I reckon. It may sound like a strange thing to say, but this giant tortoise deserved better then such a confusing, minor and arbitrary role in an episode like this. Even if he doesn't quite feel of place with most of Equestria's fauna, I think something useful in an episode could have been done with him. The episode's weird diversion after the opening in general is another odd issue it has.

      Those season 3 parallel episodes are ones I'm really quite fond of. Whether they'll hold up to that is another story, but right now, I feel they a fair bit better then they're given credit for.

      "Yes -- Steele also sang for Luna in "A Hearth's Warming Tail"."

      So she did - that episode's not one I've rewatched much, coming towards the end of my initial series binge and not sticking out too much in my mind since. I know, blasphemy! But I don't think badly of it by any stretch. IT's another I could do with rewatching.

      Delete
  2. > And then there was Fancy Pants. I simply don't understand why writers have chosen to characterise him so unattractively in recent years.

    Thank god, I'm not the only one. -.-

    This episode was super crap, and I'm shifting my reasoning to a much more fandom-friendly complaint of "Why are we getting an episode about the princesses going on vacation mere months before they retire?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back when I actually wrote stories, I wrote a Fancy Pants story, so I may be a little protective of him. But I thought he was great in "Sweet and Elite" yet has become progressively worse over the years.

      Delete
    2. I am 100% with you there. I just love how he was this social gadfly, the troll of the elite, and they keep writing him as a snob instead. :(

      Delete
    3. The Cloptimist26 June 2019 at 19:27

      Well, Twilight's no longer the upstart crow he can side with to tweak the noses of the elite; nowadays, as a Princess and the heir apparent to the throne, she *is* the elite.

      But also, while he was very brusque here, he *was* ultimately helpful, in a Discord-esque, indirect teaching kind of way - he did after all stick around and make sure Twilight eventually backed down and delegated like she was supposed to, which I'd say was likely his (or his and Celestia's) plan all along. I think he's still a standup guy.

      He was still a bit rude to Rarity, though.

      Delete
    4. When Rarity has cause to call him rude, something is wrong.

      Delete
  3. It's not so much that Mr. Tortoisnap was inspired by Torterra, I think, as that the two of them share a common inspiration: the World Turtle.

    Thanks for pointing out the Swan Upping -- I had never heard of this event before and just assumed they were playing on the "Swanlestia" fad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. While I think the two do have a common inspiration, I also think the similarities with Torterra specifically are too close to be coincidental.

      Delete
    2. I thought it was an Aspidochelone, which has inspired many variants throughout the centuries. Wasn't there one in The Neverending Story?

      Delete
  4. Thanks for pointing out all of those references; I'd have never got most of them otherwise! I agree with the above, the World Turtle did come to my mind. Also I completely failed to spot Capper until now. :)

    I adore the song. I've watched it over and over, and it still puts a grin on my face. It does pain me to admit that Aloma's Luna doesn't match exactly (unlike say Rebecca's Twi). I think it fits reasonably OK though; close enough that I can believe it's her, anyway. And even if it didn't, still sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song was outstanding, I think we can (nearly) all agree on that! I was delighted by it, regardless of my mixed feelings about the rest of the episode. One of the best songs of the last few seasons, I think.

      Delete
  5. I liked the episode overall, but it bothered me that Twilight was desperately looking for information about the swan ceremony, here comes a committee formed to deal with it, she ought to know that means they know how to and are official, and she outright dismisses them. I also wished we saw more from Luna. So much of it leaned toward Celestia getting Luna to do things that weren't relaxing, but there was little of Luna getting Celestia to do things she didn't want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twilight lived most of her life in Canterlot, and a good deal of that closely associated with Celestia, the palace, and the ruling class. Traditions like this should not be unfamiliar to her at all. Nor should the (useful) involvement of status-hungry nobles.

      Handing her the idiot ball isn't a good way to create a decent B story. Now, having her teach her friends how to handle the situation the Canterlot way would have been much better. Showing them to be rural rubes is believable, showing her to be an idiot is not.

      Delete
    2. Now there's a good better reason to hate this episode. <.<

      Delete
  6. The Cloptimist26 June 2019 at 03:05

    (pedantic nitpick 1, Twilight *did* ask Sunburst - he provided the key thing at the end to reset the amulet)

    (pedantic nitpick 2, technically Queen Novo and the Storm King were shown onscreen - albeit in somewhat stylised form - in the Hearth's Warmingsstudent episode, via the book Silverstream had from the hippogriff tourist board!)

    Why yes I am fun at parties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, point 1 is a fair one, given that I didn't specify that I meant Twi should have asked before getting going.

      Point 2... a matter of interpretation, but I don't consider those earlier depictions to count as a character actually appearing in an episode, fully, in the way Capper did here.

      Delete
  7. My favorite moment of this ep is when Celestia used her Canterlot voices to overpower Luna. I love when Alicorns used their Canterlot voices to show their authority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which reminds me: the use and mention of "Canterlot Voice" also suggests that Simone did do a fair bit of research. Which makes some of the oddities all the odder.

      Delete
  8. The Cloptimist27 June 2019 at 00:00

    So, did anyone else think the amount of bizarre faces pulled by Celestia and Luna was somewhat excessive? And strange, like, to the point of looking off-model to me in quite a few shots.

    A few months back, during the hiatus, I read a thing somewhere on Derpibooru about how the show was supposedly moving over to Toon Boom Harmony for this final season, which would provide greater flexibility and more fluid animation. It never occured to me to doubt it, so when I saw all the new memefaces and poses, and some of the awesome new effects - most notably Twilight's head shake as she bats away Sombra's attacks at the end of the premiere - I just assumed that was why. (I think a couple of people on Berrytube made the same comment.) But then when I said that here, I was told it wasn't true, and now I can't find anything to back it up anywhere; I think what probably happened is that someone got wind of the upcoming Rainbow Roadtrip special being animated in TBH and got their wires crossed. But it surely would have been a good explanation for why this is happening so much this season, and in this episode in particular where (again, personally) it felt gratuitous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, did anyone else think the amount of bizarre faces pulled by Celestia and Luna was somewhat excessive?

      Yes, but I've mostly given up complaining about meme faces now as the animators seem to have fallen utterly in love with them.

      Delete