Tuesday 12 December 2023

Things you will* see in Ponyfic Roundup in 2024

Yes, there's an asterisk in that subject line. What do you mean, why am I being strange? Are you brand new to this blog or something? I suppose I should put the matching asterisk down here somewhere, so stay tuned for that. But in the meantime...

Author Spotlights – Unlike some reviewers, I've barely done these. Okay, there was the mushroompone edition in March, but before that you'd have to go back a year and a half to when I featured Lets Do This in October 2021, and before that the last author to get a PR to themselves was Chris in March 2018! My mind was nudged a little on this by seeing Ghost Mike's look at Aragon fics that came out yesterday. 

As to who I have in mind for a possible Spotlight? Well, that would be telling. Obviously it's going to be someone who isn't just a one-hit wonder, but beyond that you'll just have to wait and see...

Random(ish?) Fic Edition – Every so often in the past, I've picked a bunch of fics fed to me by a random number generator and reviewed them almost whatever they are. "Almost" because I do tend to set a few ground rules so that I don't end up having to read the 4.5 million words (you read that right) of My Little Pokémon or something. These editions don't tend to have huge hit rates, but they're fun as a very occasional thing.

Silly Theme Edition – Now this really is something that I'd like to do again. Way back in the mists of time (PR 137, December 2016) I did a Roundup where all the fics featured spoons. It was on Hard Mode, too, which meant no Silver Spoon stories could be included. This is the level of idiocy to which I aspire. I was there once, and perhaps those halcyon days can return in 2024.

No major changes in format – I'm very comfortable with the cosy little one-paragraph reviews I've been writing for the last nine and a half years. Mike can happily chat for 4,000 words in a blog post, but I'd just sound boring if I went on for that long. Hay, I don't even include the cover art in my reviews. Yes, they tend to be a bit longer than when I started doing this, but not that much longer.

Two big milestones – The very first Ponyfic Roundup appeared on 26 March 2014, and so I'm approaching its tenth anniversary. I'll see what I can think up for that auspicious occasion. And as if that wasn't enough, sometime in the summer (depending on whether I take the odd holiday break) I will reach Ponyfic Roundup 500. I'm unsure whether I should be pleased or scared that I've gone on this long!

* Maybe. There you are, you can stop fretting now. Wasn't really worth scrolling all the way down here, though, was it?

6 comments:

  1. Excellent! Bring it on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've still got a handful of author spotlight blogs I want to do, which I set up years and years ago <_< lately, if I do an author spotlight it means they died D:

    silly themes sound great :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought about that for (eg) Ninjadeadbeard, but I decided I really didn't want to do that. I want author spotlights for people who are still around to enjoy it/hurl abuse at me. :P

      Delete
  3. My general feeling on Author Spotlights now is to do them only when they feel right. Much better than every month, where they were an obligation. Thus far, I've done two since I took them off a regular schedule, so one every three months. I don't know if that'll continue, but we'll see. But I am excited to see who you have in store for one!

    The Silly Theme Edition intrigues me. Way too new to remember this spoon-themed roundup myself! Unlike the Random(ish) Fic Editions, which I tend to skim over, this strikes me as fun whether I do or don't take to any of the fic featured therein. Crack is up to Insane difficulty this time!

    Mike can happily chat for 4,000 words in a blog post, but I'd just sound boring if I went on for that long.
    Well, the spotlight on Aragon there was a bit of an exception, with a 1+K intro blurb. 500 words tends to be what they're normally like. Also, if I actually tried to write 3K or 4K in one go, I'd be boring too. The blogs are compilations of reviews that are several weeks old and written in isolation, after all. Sometimes many months!

    Yes, they tend to be a bit longer than when I started doing this, but not that much longer.
    Speaking of, I'm amazed whenever I happen upon an old reviews and see the word count fluctuate that much more, with novels often getting shoved in to regular editions with the same solo paragraph. You really did bulldoze through Ponyfic back then!

    And as if that wasn't enough, sometime in the summer (depending on whether I take the odd holiday break) I will reach Ponyfic Roundup 500. I'm unsure whether I should be pleased or scared that I've gone on this long!
    How about 'pleascared'? Pinkie, author of 'nervicited', would be proud.

    And on top of those two anniversaries, as was noted elsewhere, you're closing in on 2,000 stories reviewed too. A decade, 500 editions, and 2,000 stories covered, all in the same year! You can't let this slip you by.

    Tl;dr –I'm excited to see everything you'll spring on us next year, my friend. Let's go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the 2,000-review mark is going to make this quite the year! I hope I can do it justice and give you fine people who take time to read my wafflings something entertaining and informative. :)

      Delete