Wednesday 13 December 2023

Ponyfic Roundup 470

Read it Later story count: 97 (+1)

Words read this week: 32,813

After all the thousand-worders recently, this week we're in a little bit of a lull, after that and before the festive edition. (For details of what's coming next week, see the end of this post.) Today I'm going to follow my usual pattern when nothing else is happening: I'll be reviewing five stories which caught my eye for one reason or another. They are:

Barn room brawl by appletini
Cafeteria Control by Justice3442
Five Hundred Little Zombies by GroaningGreyAgony
Beyond a Boundary by The Cloptimist
Sunsplit by Masterweaver

★: 0 | ★★: 1 | ★★★: 2 | ★★★★: 2 | ★★★★★: 0
Note: I use a skewed rating system. A fic I enjoy an average amount scores two stars.

Barn room brawl by appletini
Applejack and Other
G4; Dark/Sad/Tragedy; 1k words; Jul 2012; Teen

Applejack trapped inside Sweet Apple Acre's barn must fend off a relentless enemy and last the night

Despite the typo in the shortdesc (and a few too many in the fic itself) this story starts off promisingly. There's tension and mystery as we wait to find out who the enemy is and what has happened. The first is answered fairly quickly and not that surprisingly. Sadly the fic drops the ball later on, providing us with a really pretty unsatisfying ending. ★★

Cafeteria Control by Justice3442
Sunset Shimmer, Dazzlings and Mane Seven

G4 EqG; Adventure/Comedy/Random/Human; 22k words; Aug–Oct 2014; Teen

After the student body of Canterlot High is swayed by yet another surprise musical number during lunch, Sunset Shimmer muses the students are easily influenced by songs at this time. Pinkie quickly comes up with a song of her own.

Largely written when all we had of Rainbow Rocks were the previews, this entertaining story feels slightly odd now we know the movie's full story – but it nevertheless works quite well on its own merits. It's pretty much always at least mildly entertaining, and sometimes considerably funnier than that. The disconnect between what's here and what transpired in the actual film does occasionally become very noticeable – most notably in the lack of stuff about the Dazzlings being Sirens – but mostly the freewheeling, slightly absurd nature of the comedy pulls it through. Quite a high three and definitely fun; just don't worry too much about it jibing with post-previews canon. ★★★

Five Hundred Little Zombies by GroaningGreyAgony
Fluttershy, Angel and Flitter

G4; Comedy/Horror/Random; 1k words; Apr 2023; Everyone

Flitter thought she knew what it meant to be strong, after meeting Fluttershy. When the dead start to walk again, they're both going to need it.

This "technically approved"¹ parody of Estee's classic Five Hundred Little Murders (PR 121) came out on 1st April, because of course it did. You do need to have read the original first to get the most out of this – though don't go expecting something desperately deep. It's really just a bit of absurdity, as you'd expect from this kind of parody, though given the writer it's unsurprisingly well written absurdity. ★★★
¹ See the longdesc, though the comment there probably means more to people who know Estee personally, which I do not.²
² The number of US-based ponyfic writers who get to meet in person sometimes is always a source of envy for me!

Beyond a Boundary by The Cloptimist
Coriander Cumin, Royal Guard, OC and Other
G4; Romance/Slice of Life; 5k words; Dec 2023; Teen

Ponies! Cricket! Awakening M/M yearnings!

The chance of my ignoring a story written around cricket is close to zero, especially when it's the welcome return after more than two years of an author I've enjoyed fics by in the past. Spearhead and Blank Slate are practising to play in Canterlot's first cricket match (Coriander is the coach and plays a fine supporting role in the fic), but can they concentrate on the sport when personal feelings start to intrude? You don't actually have to know about cricket to like this, and the sporting details have been clearly been kept simple for non-aficionados.¹ That doesn't harm the story, since the relationship (but what sort...?) between Spearhead and Blank Slate is the key thing and that's pretty universal. After all, what do they know of cricket who only cricket know? As far as I can see, the downvotes for this are likely to be "because M/M" ones, which is depressing. It's a good story, which packs more than one emotional twist into quite a short space. Look, I'm obviously slightly biased the other way because it has cricket in it squee – but I can't see many people who can at least tolerate M/M relationships disliking this. ★★★★
¹ It's noticeable that the key moments involve catches rather than less easily grasped² modes of dismissal.
² If you're expecting me to be ashamed of that, you probably haven't been here very long.

Sunsplit by Masterweaver
Sunburst, Twilight and Sunset Shimmer

G4; Comedy/Random/Slice of Life; 2k words; Mar 2016; Teen

Twilight asks Sunburst a question.

That question being whether he ever knew Sunset Shimmer. Sunburst's highly defensive reply sets in train a funny slice of weirdness, and the actual answer makes a concerning amount of sense. Along the way, we hear about Sunburst's named beard (and the canon-related reason why Twilight accepts this). A fair amount of coloured text, but justified I think in this case. Anyway, it's funny. Really funny. The first in a series, and I'll surely read the next one at some point. ★★★★


Next week it will be the Grand (okay, it's me, so not very grand) Hearth's Warming edition of Ponyfic Roundup! It's a while since I've had a themed edition that hasn't been related to a contest, so now seems as good a time as any. I'm going to indulge myself this time and pick out stories by authors whose fics have given me enjoyment in the past. The six (oh yes) stories on the slate will be:

A Holiday Errand by Pen Stroke
Yule in a Donut Shop by Rune Soldier Dan
The First Stitch by Carabas
How Lily Longsocks Spent Hearth
s Warming Eve on the Moon by Pascoite
In the Bleak Midwinter by Skywriter
Badvent Calendar by Estee

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the nice review! It was terrifying coming back but the comments have all been really pleasant (and yes, I did deliberately avoid going beyond the most basic elements of the game). I'm glad you liked it (and I appreciated the joke too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I had a very good time with the fic. :)

      Delete
  2. High word count for a not-spotlight week next time! But that will happen for a self-indulgent week. It was so for my "five of my fav fics" week back in March to mark 1 year. Couple that with six authors who have delivered for you before, and yep, fits! Looking forward to a high average score.

    As for this week: I've read Sunsplit and its sequels, though I don't remember much beyond the concept. I suppose with the 4-star rating here, I kinda have to look at it again soon, don't I?

    The number of US-based ponyfic writers who get to meet in person sometimes is always a source of envy for me!
    Me too. Even though there are a decent share of notable Ponyfic names in the UK, UKPC just doesn't attract them, by and large. Not really a con in Europe like Everfree Northwest that has a hefty fanfic focus, alas. So it's mostly just us small fry. Maybe someday…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes I've slowed down approaching Hearth's Warming, but I realised I really wanted to read more this year, so...

      Delete
  3. Is this your record for number of footnotes in a blogpost?

    Looking forward to your take on "Yule in a Donut Shop." That's the only one for next week I've read (beyond the obvious one), and it's a goodie I've liked for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I don't have a record of that... but I do remember reviewing iissw's On the Rocks in PR 398 and using three footnotes for that one story... :P

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a story about cricket, you say? c_c and I won't even have to know what a crumpet is? (1)

    (1) I know what a crumpet is, it's an allusion to the 1990 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind crumpets, mince pies are where it's at right now. :9

      Delete