Tuesday 18 April 2023

Okay, what's the deal with "Carl Cornejo"?

I agree with Mr. Frog
The screenshot above was taken from Equestria Daily the other day, more specifically from the comments on the "What is the Best Pony Fan Theory You've Heard?" thread. And as you can see, Carl Cornejo has commented in the way he/they/it usually does. As Mr. Frog points out, this is CC's unvarying style of reply. Each and every time, whoever the reply is to, and on a huge range of posts.

What's going on? I have no more idea than Mr. Frog does, to be honest. This has gone on for years, and it's way, way, way past the point of being even remotely interesting or amusing. Yes, you can block a poster, but this kind of stuff is frankly at least borderline spam, and most of the time spammers are zapped pretty quickly. They come back, sure, but they're not left to go on and on and on first.

If Carl Cornejo is AI-generated, then the progress of AI in the years since he started commenting makes this kind of thing seem extremely old-fashioned and boring and I wish it was stopped. If he's a real person doing this, then it's less old-fashioned but equally boring and I wish he'd stop. While it's not a massive deal, for me at least it does make the EQD comments just a little bit tedious.

7 comments:

  1. So very weird. :B Some people are just highly idiosyncratic and relentless?

    we real Seinfeldposting hours today, boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember first noticing them when the only comment for my EqD feature for my 2nd fic The Endeavor Within came from them, and was a totally random "philosophical" statement similar to the one pictured above. I've seen them here and there on other posts on the rare occasions I visit EqD these days (mostly just to check Silver Quill's review of the latest comic, honestly).

    But yeah, real or AI, it is a massively weird case. To each their own. There's plenty other reason I tend to gloss over EqD comments these days even when I do visit, but that one doesn't help.

    I'm sure someone will theorise Sethisto allows them for pushing up the number of comments on posts (or even does it himself/is behind the bot…?), and while I wouldn't go that far, I can understand why one might think that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a bit of digging.
    https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/1033635/the-curious-case-of-carl-cornejo-equestria-dailys-enduring-eccentric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just seen that! Thanks for the link!

      Delete
    2. No problem. Ta for reading.

      Delete
  4. There's a part 2. We're a stone's throw from having it sussed. https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/1033709/the-curious-case-of-carl-cornejo-part-2-case-closed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or not, given that there was then a part 3! At least some of the mystery looks like being with us still, and maybe that's not entirely a bad thing.

      Delete