Monday 8 June 2020

My Little Reviews 43: "Hearts and Hooves Day"

Years and years ago, I had this scene printed onto a pencil case!
S2E17: "Hearts and Hooves Day"
Written by Meghan McCarthy
11 Feb 2012

My original rating: N/A
IMDB score: 7.8

The one with tubs of jelly.

Thoughts: The first mention of Equestria's Valentine's Day analogue and of Very Special Someponies (the "very" got dropped in later episodes). There are indeed several tiny dramas and tragedies to catch in the classroom in the scene after the credits. A filly on the near side seems about to give a card to a colt on the far side... and then Twist gets in first and the other filly looks away and drops her card on the floor. It lasts all of three seconds, yet it's heartbreaking. Cheerilee's face when asked about her (non-existent) Somepony is notable, too. A little later on, the episode gives us a nice song I feel is underrated – during which we see "Button Mash" for the first time as well as what looks like a Q*Bert reference with the hay bales. The ethics of love potions, er, poisons are maybe not given as much attention as they ought to be, but at least this episode gave us CheeriMac, one of the more fun fandom ships, and Peter New getting to talk a bit more as Big Mac. Admittedly most of what he says is of the "shmoopy-doo" variety! Not to mention a contender for Sweetie's best ever line; probably only "I really like her mane!" from "Lesson Zero" is quite as memorable. It's not the most exciting episode, but it's another pretty decent way to spend 22 minutes. A solid three stars from me; I like this rather more now than I used to.

Choice quote: Sweetie Belle: "Oh, come on!"

New rating: ★★★

Next up is "A Friend In Deed", which is a strange experience for me. I adore one part but rather dislike much of the rest. We shall see whether that remains the case.

11 comments:

  1. This is a good episode, but I always hated it for demonstrating how many people don't know the difference between love and mind control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love is mind control!

      (But mind control is not love.)

      Delete
  2. I thought this was cute in concept, but some of the dumb things, like Big Mac literally hauling a house around, piled up a bit too much for my taste. And as unethical as this kind of love potion is, I'm surprised books that show how to brew one aren't in the restricted sections of libraries.

    I remember an old fanon theory this episode spawned. The story of the original use of this potion and the CMCs' discovery that it was actually a love poison had people positing that the princess/victim in the legend was Chrysalis's origin.

    That was a rather good Sweetie Belle one, but my favorite is still her "Why does life have to be so ironic!?" from "One Bad Apple."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, as repulsed as Scootaloo usually is by mushy stuff, I'm surprised she was as much on board with the matchmaking as the other two.

      Delete
    2. This was always my thought, and one of the reasons I've always been able to ignore the episode in my mind.

      Delete
    3. My headcanon about the book is that it was in the restricted section, but that Twilight decided books shouldn't be hidden away like that. Naive yes, but then she's naive anyway in this episode in that no danger lights flash in her mind when the CMC, giggling like that, ask out of nowhere for a book about love potions on Hearts and Hooves Day. Twi's known the CMC long enough by now, surely...

      Delete
    4. Cold in Gardez's Completely Safe in the Reference Section is the story I remembered in this context just after hitting Publish. From its description:

      What do you do with a book of dark magic? If you're Twilight Sparkle, you put it in your library. Because that's where books go.

      After all, books are for everypony.


      (I've read the fic, so I know there's a bit more to the story than that.)

      Delete
  3. Ah, this episode. Such a good'un. Firstly and most obviously because it's pretty much the only time Cheerilee gets any sort of focus as a central character.

    What I like most is how she insists on positivity and, well, cheer: even after the embarrassment of the first meeting with Big Mac, she and he defuse it quite nicely with a comment about "meeting a good friend".

    It's even there whether she's shooting down the idea that she needs a VSS or apologizing to Big Mac for the CMC's shenanigans (you know, acting like a grown-up, which shockingly isn't something to take for granted in this show at times).

    Yet there are also little intrigues that suggest she has her limits, such as the flat way she responds to the silly question ("That's an apple tree.") and her expression when the CMC talk as if being single is A Bad Thing.

    Incidentally, what do people make of that expression she gives? I've always interpreted it as her being fed-up with the idea that she must want another pony in her life as her VSS (i.e. she's pro-being-single), but apparently some people have interpreted it the opposite way.

    I find it a mixed bag as to whether or not she should have had another focus episode. On the one hand, more Cheerilee is a good thing in my book, and I confess to being a bit disappointed. On the other hand, given what happened to Big Mac further down the road, it's probably just as well Cheerilee was left mostly in the background. Gives us fanfickers some scope to go our own directions, then.

    Lastly, I'm aware there were some minor nods further down the road to Cheerilee and Big Mac having a thing (e.g. them co-occurring in the background during "Just For Sidekicks" or Cheerilee mock-fainting at Big Mac's singing in "Filli Vanilli". Given what happened in this episode, the stated moral, and the implications therein... I am really glad they stayed minor nods, because holy heck the implications are just swimming in bad waters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, am I alone in loving the song for this episode? It always puts a smile on my face.

      Delete
    2. Not at all, the song's fantastic. Season two was full of bangers and The Perfect Stallion is definitely one of them. :D

      Delete
    3. I called it "a nice song I feel is underrated" in my Thoughts here, so you're certainly not alone in enjoying it. I'm not sure whether I'd go as far as "love" myself, but that may just be because it's rather overshadowed by the song in the next episode. As PP mentions, S2 is a great season for songs.

      Delete