Thursday 12 September 2019

Ponyfic Roundup 264b: Feghoot winners, part 1

NB 11 Feb 23: This was originally numbered 264, but I only recently discovered that I numbered the previous Roundup 264 as well. To avoid a huge amount of renumbering, I have decided to list them as 264a and 264b from now on.

Read it Later story count: 236 (-3)

The Fimfiction Feghoot Festival contest that Super Trampoline ran recently was quite a success, with something like 60 entries in the end. Of those, the large panel of judges (about 30 of them!) chose 11 as worthy of note: five runners-up, three honourable mentions and then the "medallists" (my term). Today, I'll be looking at the runners-up; I'll get to the other six soon. In reverse order of their placing, today we have:

11th: The (Second) Rise and Fall of the Storm King by TheDriderPony
10th: Rarity Dreams of Non-Electric Sheep by Kris Overstreet
9th: Here I am at Camp Sonata by TheDriderPony
8th: What About Mistmane? by bahatumay
7th: Sugarless Gumption by FanOfMostEverything

★: 0 | ★★: 2 | ★★★: 2 | ★★★★: 1 | ★★★★★: 0

The (Second) Rise and Fall of the Storm King by TheDriderPony
Mane Six, Storm King and OCs
Comedy; 6k words; Jul 2019; Everyone
Even the mightiest can be toppled by a bad enough pun. The Storm King learns this the hard way.
We start off with one of the contest's rare movie-based fics. A point for that, and another one for this being a multi-chapter effort. Less of a point for a "British" character with an accent that was quite painful for this actual Brit to read. (I mean, "Stormy Boyo"???) He could be Ragamuffin in disguise, I suppose. There are mini-feghoots at the close of each chapter, and actually I felt the one after the first was not only very good but better than the rather clunky pun at story's end. Pigs play a significant role, and Napoleon and Snowball are amusing name choices for these hammy characters. Overall, a fun read, perhaps slightly lacking in polish here and there and let down a bit by that ending. A top-end two. ★★

Rarity Dreams of Non-Electric Sheep by Kris Overstreet
Rarity
Comedy/Random; 1k words; Jun 2019; Everyone
Luna does not actually appear in this songfic.
A much shorter tale here, and in fact the story part of it is even shorter, as the final feghoot is expanded to a multi-verse parody of a very popular (non-MLP) song. As long as you recognise its inspiration, it's pretty clever, though if you don't you may be left very confused. (There's another, much shorter, song parody earlier that I loved.) The main problem here is that, in a fic this brief, there's very little room left for any actual story. The long description's "Rarity describes her most recent nightmare to her friends in song form" is about the size of it. Also, this fic reminded me that American English spells "chaise longue" wrong. :P This gets a three from me because I am impressed with the extended parody. ★★★

Here I am at Camp Sonata by TheDriderPony
Scootaloo, Sonata Dusk and OCs
Comedy/Random; 1k words; Jul 2019; Everyone
Scootaloo sends a voicemail home about her terrible time at camp
Another fic by this author! Despite its inspiration, which is gently used in the story itself, this one isn't a songfic, even partially. It's pretty amusing, and the use of voicemail mostly gets around the "letter doesn't sound like a letter" problem we see all too often. (It's still long for that format.) Scootaloo is pretty convincing, too. But... is this really a feghoot? The ending puns seem rather highbrow for that. I'm embarrassed to admit that the other reason I can't give this more than a high two is that I simply didn't get some of those jokes. I got the theme and still didn't work them all out. If you get the lot and find them funny, add a star. Oh, and kirin fans should keep their eyes open. ★★

What About Mistmane? by bahatumay
Rockhoof and Mistmane
Slice of Life; 2k words; Jun 2019; Everyone
Rockhoof teaches his students something fascinating about fellow Pillar of Old Equestria Mistmane.
Here we have Rockhoof teaching the School of Friendship students, or more accurately rambling on and on about his past exploits. He's nicely characterised here, as are the Young Six. The tale has some amusing moments along the way, starting with Smolder's excitement at the possibility of violence in Rockhoof's tales and proceeding from there. The pun at the end is not exactly original in concept, but it is funny. At least, it is to me. The first story here to literally make me giggle out loud. Mistmane isn't all that memorable – but then she isn't in canon either, so it's hard to fault the fic for that. ★★★

Sugarless Gumption by FanOfMostEverything
Pinkie (pony), Pinkie (EqG), Sunset Shimmer and Mane Seven (EqG)
Equestria Girls/Comedy/Slice of Life; 4k words; Jun 2019; Teen
Rainbow Dash makes another ill-advised wager, but this time it's Pinkie who has to put her munchies where her mouth is.
Once again, I have to admit ignorance: I don't understand the (presumed) references in either the fic's main title or its chapter title. Sigh. Thankfully, the story itself is great fun. FOME really makes hay out of the contrasts between CHS-world and Equestria, and the Pinkies are handled excellently: I don't think I've seen the "two characters who are the same but not quite" concept done this well since Perfect for Me (PR 19). There's a little mild meta that doesn't break the story, there's at least one S1 reference... there's even a mention of custard! There is one place where I thought of something the characters apparently didn't, and actually though more than serviceable I didn't feel the ending pun was outstandingly good. But the story is entertaining and lively enough in its own right that I enjoyed this the most overall out of today's batch. ★★★★

Next time on Ponyfic Roundup: more feghoots!

8 comments:

  1. Also, this fic reminded me that American English spells "chaise longue" wrong.
    I think it's more that, with lounge being spelled one letter differently, most people are just confused and don't know how to spell it right. :P

    Also, Drider Pony had three entries and all three got into the top 11. That's pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're quite good at being confused over here as well, you know. :P

      And yes! I'm looking forward to reading their final entry, seeing as it placed the highest of the three. Hoping to have the other six written up in time for next week's PR. :)

      Delete
  2. I really did not appreciate the "What About Mistmane?" pun just because it's obviously not the author's work.

    The only joke I think is embedded in the title of "Sugarless Gumption" is just a play on sugarless gum.

    As Super Trampoline noted, I won second place in the first round, but I was ineligible to advance because I was a judge. Is that enough to get me a review?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this particular case, I tend to side more with the people who left comments along the lines of "I've seen this done before, but it was still funny." I mean, I've seen it done before, but I still laughed because I didn't see it coming.

      I've been trying to get it to fit with "sugar consumption", which has the same rhythm, but I can't do it. As for the chapter title of "No Sugar, Entrees Only, Diner Destination"... I have no clue what that's referencing!

      Is that enough to get me a review?

      I expect so, at some point. I'll probably do what I did with the old "Outside Insight" contest and add some non-prizewinning entries to regular PRs from time to time. Given how highly yours rated, it's going to be near the front of the queue.

      I'm also relieved to find, looking at the results spreadsheet, that the judges agreed with me in terms of what order my own entries should score in! I might put up a little post about that next time I: a) have the time, and b) remember.

      Delete
    2. The story title is about sugarless gum (you know, chewing gum? Do you guys have a different word for it? c.c Chicle?), the chapter title you can definitely be forgiven for:

      "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination" is a play mode meme for Super Smash Brothers. :)

      Delete
    3. I got the "sugarless gum" thing -- though "sugar-free" is the standard term here -- but I was hoping the joke would be a little cleverer than that in some way I wasn't getting. (As an aside,

      As for the chapter title... sheesh, no wonder I didn't get it! Again, though, that one seems a bit forced. Slightly disappointed, given how impressed I was with most of the rest of the story.

      Delete
    4. Maybe it's an oblique reference to Strong Bad's 3 G's:

      - Gumption
      - Gum. Like, chew gum.
      - Gargle. Minty gargle.

      Delete
    5. And no, I can't remember what I was going to write after "(As an aside," I'm afraid...

      Delete