Sunday 1 September 2019

UK PonyCon events schedule and music line-up published!

Update: schedule link fixed!

Well, this is a nice distraction from all the uncertainty about when and where and how the remaining Season 9 episodes will appear. UK PonyCon has published this year's events schedule, slightly earlier than last year's. It looks pretty much what I'd expect from a UKPC timetable – there are a couple of time slots where I'll have to decide between two interesting-looking panels, but c'est la vie. And the Pub Quiz is present and correct, so all's right with the world.

There are also a few stretches where nothing appeals all that much, but I'm really not worried about that. Those are the times when I browse the merch stalls, go and grab some food – and, of course, chat to Pony-minded friends, which is by far the thing I look forward to most at conventions. Naturally, I'll also be swinging by the karaoke at some point, since I've already been roped into attempting a duet with someone. Should be fun(ny)!

The big attraction for me this year is the screening of the 2017 movie in the late afternoon/early evening on Saturday. Given UKPC showed the G1 film last year, this isn't an enormous surprise, but it's still fantastic that they've managed to arrange the necessary permissions. The cinema hall is one of those steeply-banked lecture rooms, so although the screen isn't massive the view is good. I just hope it runs at full speed this year!

Last year's popular Saturday evening concert has been brought back for another go this autumn, albeit renamed Beach Party to fit in with this year's "Ocean Adventure" theme. I will say that I hope the audience doesn't talk non-stop through the entire damn thing like last year, but I don't hold out much hope. :/ The line-up once again consists of four acts and was actually confirmed a little while ago, but as I didn't remember to post about it at the time here it is:


Back to the con in general, and it appears that food provision has been improved. Last year, a tiny "catering pod" on the lower level was entirely inadequate for the number of attendees. This year, we'll have the use of both a café for snacks and (over the lunchtime period) the building's refectory for hot meals. This is very welcome. I still have a slight reservation about Saturday evening, as all that seems to be open then is a bar, and last year that meant just drinks.

It's now less than six weeks until UK PonyCon 2019 opens for business. These things really do rush up on you! I'll try to remember to post a few of my tips for first-timers between now and then, but in the meantime just keep in mind the most important tip of all: wear comfortable shoes!

2 comments:

  1. ...what is up with that link to the schedule? It leads to some 2015 Fimfiction blog to do with a 'Dangerous Game' contest? Mistake, or am I being punked here?

    Neat schedule; based on my analysis of last year's one, it's largely similar, excepting differences in what panels are happening, some shifting around of events, etc. Be a while before I fully know what's my focus on the list, and there'll be a little improvisation too, of course. Such is the nature of conventions, at least the first time around. Still, the next six weeks will fly by, I'm sure, so colour me excited! I'll leave it up to your imagination which of the Mane 6's colours I meant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Thanks for the heads-up; I've fixed the link now.

      And yes, last year's schedule seemed to be to most people's liking, so I imagine the con committee didn't see the need to shake things up too much.

      I'll leave it up to your imagination which of the Mane 6's colours I meant.

      Since you didn't specify coat colour, I'll go with Rainbow. Plenty of choice there!

      Delete