Monday 4 December 2017

Pony Music Library 49: "My Little Pony Friends"


Well, would you look at that? Logan's put up a PML post without waiting a month and a half since the last one! This is an interesting song, too, and one some of you may find a surprising choice as a favourite of mine, so let's get going.

What? "My Little Pony Friends"

Who? Daniel Ingram and Lauren Faust (show theme segments)

Which? Unused EqG song

When? August 2014 (public debut)

Why? The closing credits of the first Equestria Girls film featured the song "A Friend for Life", which in all honesty is not one I find very memorable. That wasn't the initial plan, though. The movie was originally going to close with this song. Why the change was made I don't know, but I like "My Little Pony Friends" more. It tugs at my heart in a way that "AFfL" doesn't quite manage. This was Kaylee Johnston's first singing role for MLP, and I think her only lead singing role, another reason I'm sad it was cut. Oh, and yes, it does indeed include the phrase "We love and tolerate". So let's have no more about that not being canon! :P

4 comments:

  1. This is a really nice tune! I can't believe I had never heard about it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I remember, it barely got publicised at the time, and if you didn't follow EqD you might easily have missed it. There was a brief flurry of interest in the "love and tolerate" bit, but then it sank out of sight again. It's never been on an official soundtrack album, and it's not an extra on the DVD either, so I guess in that sense it's more obscure than something like the extended show theme tune.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I've definitely heard this before, although I'm really not very familiar with it.

    Also, when I read the title my brain emediately goes to the extended version of 'Make A Wish', which has that lyric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people aren't that familiar with it, for the reasons I just said to Soge. And I wonder whether the lyrics in "Make a Wish" are a deliberate reference or coincidence? I'd lean towards the latter, I think.

      Delete