Sunday 13 January 2019

UK PonyCon 2019 theme announced!

I wasn't expecting this quite yet, but over on the UK PonyCon forums, committee member Guiding Breeze has announced that the 2019 theme will be Ocean Adventure! From what I've seen so far, this will be a popular choice, with plenty of scope for cosplay. I thoroughly approve, too! As the forum post mentions, there should be plenty of "shoo be doo" around the place when the convention opens later in the year! Seaponies look set to be much in evidence, though I'd love to see someone go all-out with a Steven Magnet cosplay! :D

Since negotiations aren't yet finalised with regard to dates and venue, those aren't yet public. I would be very surprised if the con wasn't in the autumn as usual, though. As for where... well, there's been a lot of speculation already that the theme suggests a maritime location. If so, Southampton is probably the bookies' favourite at this point. (Not that we're betting on it, I hasten to add!) Brighton has also been mentioned, as has Newcastle – and even Blackpool! Liverpool, which might otherwise be among the favourites, may be a bit of an outsider because Griffish Isles in May will be just 30 miles away in Manchester.

The forum post suggests that the UKPC team hope to be able to announce all the important details in February. That would be earlier than last year, which I think everyone would be impressed by. Wherever it is, I'll at least explore the possibility of going. Well, unless it's in Belfast or Inverness, which would probably be just too expensive and awkward for me to manage. I do have a backup plan just in case, though, which is that I might take the opportunity to do Griffish Isles for the first time instead. Okay, unless that con suddenly moved to Lerwick. That might be a bit tricky. :P

2 comments:

  1. In a financial point of view, Brighton or Southampton would be perfect for me. But if they do go somewhere further up north then Newcastle would be my choice that way I could sneak in a football match while I'm up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I come at this from a rather different perspective -- I'd be delighted if there were no big fixtures scheduled for the city in question! (I was pleased Nottingham Forest weren't at home for UKPC last year.)

      I'd also point out that Sunderland is another maritime city. So UKPC could, at least in theory, be there. :P

      Delete