Friday 25 January 2019

Sounds of 2011: Nos. 34 to 30

Definitely time I got back to these things! I was reminded by a couple of anniversaries that occurred this week, although they're from 2012: both "Loyalty" and The Living Tombstone's remix of "Discord" turned seven in the last few days. I don't quite remember those coming out, but it still makes me feel old! Anyway, back to 2011 now...

No. 34 doesn't meet the inclusion criteria, so gets skipped.


Impressive how Omnipony (now OMNI) got Dashie to record so many samples for this, isn't it? ;) Although he hasn't made MLP music for years, Omnipony is still fairly well known in the fandom, and this isn't the least of his early efforts. A Spike song inspired by "Secret of My Excess", which may mean you're surprised by the Rainbow Dash chops from "Winter Wrap Up". I was – if I'm honest, I'm not sure what relation the song has to its title. I'm told this is melodic dubstep (maybe; I don't know!) and that means you get a drop about halfway through. I can't find an HQ version sadly; the Bandcamp link in the video description leads nowhere.


This is the very first Pony song on WoodenToaster's account – it was uploaded on 28 May 2011, making it one of the earliest enduring brony tracks I know of. (Not quite the earliest, as we'll see in a later edition.) As you might expect from such an old song, this isn't the most complex of pieces, consisting mostly of those trademark distorted synths and a repeated snatch of lyrics from the "Laughter Song" from the S1 premiere. It's catchy, but not the most memorable of experiences. Again, I haven't been able to find a link for this track in HQ. Sorry!

No. 31 is another track being skipped for not meeting the criteria.


Makkon is a musician that those who were around the fandom in its early days tend to wax lyrical about. As with Omnipony, he hasn't been active for many years, but at least he left us tracks like this. A largely orchestral piece with just a high vocal accompaniment, this is in a different league to a lot of 2011 brony music. My touchstone for orchestral fandom music is Evening Star, and I'd suggest that if you like ES you'll probably enjoy Makkon's piece, which has a similar epic, filmic quality. Want an HQ listen? There's a working Mediafire link to a 256kbps MP3 in the video description.

Next time, the songs I feature will include one of the most famous show song remixes ever made.

3 comments:

  1. I've always liked Pinkie's Lie. The minor key does a ton of work conveying the intended darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite fond of Pinkie's Lie (listening to it now), particularly since someone did an orchestral medley of Wooden Toasters music.

    With Makkon, I'm more familiar with some of his other pieces (such as 'Winterglade' of 'Bronies React' fame). Will give that Celestia piece another go though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't actually know "Winterglade". Probably because I've never really watched "Bronies React" rather than anything else!

      Delete