Tuesday 26 April 2016

Pony Music Library 1: "Helping Twilight Win the Crown (Aviators Remix)"

This is a new series, which will be fitted in when I've got time rather than being at a set time each week like Ponyfic Roundup. In it, I'll be showcasing my favourite pony tracks, be they show songs, remixes or original works. The main criterion is that they must be MLP-related – so, for example, Aviators' FNAF songs would not be eligible. There won't be much rhyme or reason to the order; this is not a top 20 countdown or the like. Right; here's the first entry into the Hall of Dubious Fame.


What? "Helping Twilight Win the Crown (Aviators remix)"

Who? Aviators

Which? Movie song remix

When? July 2013

Why? Because it's absurdly catchy. Daniel Ingram's original version of this song, officially (and boringly) known as "Cafeteria Song", was easily the highlight of the somewhat variable first Equestria Girls film. Aviators puts his own stamp on the track in a very satisfying way: it's not distorted into oblivion, and the essential sense of fun is retained, but it's recognisable from the first few notes. A fine version of a fine song.

6 comments:

  1. I am liking this new series :) Will you be taking suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A qualified yes to that. You're free to suggest whatever you like, old or new, and I'll consider it. However, this series is very much a personal selection, so I'll only feature it if I can legitimately call it a favourite of mine.

      Delete
  2. Interesting new series, I'll look forward to seeing what other tracks you choose to feature.

    As for this one, in general I do like how it sounds, and it would probably work well as something to have on in the background while working on other things. The only thing I'm not so keen with Aviators stuff; the backing rhythms are a bit 'samey'. They don't really change over the course of the song,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that sameyness may actually be a plus for me, perhaps because I tend to have this on in the background or via headphones while doing something else. In that situation, I don't want a song that forces me to listen particularly closely.

      Delete
  3. I love it! I'll have to see about downloading this from wherever it's hosted at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link Aviators provides is this one, on Soundcloud. It does seem to require a login, though.

      Delete