Friday 30 June 2023

Ponyfic Roundup 447: Treefics 2

Read it Later story count: 97 (nc)

Words read this week: 12,278

It's time for the second roundup of fics entered for Mockingbirb's Arboreal Yearnings Contest I. As happened last week, I've managed to read and review five of them, although my total word count is still very low. Here are today's stories:

His Tree by EndlessPossibilities58
If You Go Down In The Woods Today by SilverNotes
A Fir-ly Difficult Choice by Mokoma
Branch Shaking by Moproblems Moharmoney
A Calming in the Forest by GurbangulyBerdimuhamedow

★: 0 | ★★: 4 | ★★★: 1 | ★★★★: 0 | ★★★★★: 0
Note: I use a skewed rating system. A fic I enjoy an average amount scores two stars.

His Tree by EndlessPossibilities58
Fluttershy and Mane Six

G4; Sad/Slice of Life/Tragedy; 2k words; Apr 2023; Everyone

Fluttershy prepares for her son's birthday.

This setup prompted some interesting thoughts, such as "Is her son a tree?" In fact, no. This is a rather more straightforward weepie, and instead Fluttershy envies trees for their strength and ability to stop the world getting to them. There's some mildly irritating LUS ("the meek yellow pegasus") but on the whole it does a job. There just isn't quite as much depth as I'd have liked. ★★

If You Go Down In The Woods Today by SilverNotes
Fluttershy, Zecora and Other

G4; Adventure/Horror/Crossover; 6k words; Apr 2023; Teen (Violence)

Fluttershy and Zecora follow Harry the bear into the depths of the Everfree Forest. If the forest allows it, they may escape alive.

Here we have an eye-catching shortdesc. The story is a crossover with the game Armello. The author says familiarity is not required, but as usual in a case like this I did sometimes wonder whether I was missing something that might have been extra satisfying to Armello players. Still, despite that this is a suitably creepy story for its Everfree setting – regular readers will know that I like Everfree being not "just another wood". I really like having Zecora and Fluttershy teaming up for this adventure, especially after Harry disappears and Fluttershy starts to doubt, well, everything. Atmospheric and unsettling, and a top-end three that perhaps could shade into a four for Armello devotees. ★★★

A Fir-ly Difficult Choice by Mokoma
Mane Six and Trixie

G4; Comedy/Random/Slice of Life; 1k words; Apr 2023; Everyone

A rather ridicilous question ends up being a part light-hearted, part deep debate.

As the longdesc puts it: "I'd like to be a tree." "Which one?" The Mane Six, and indeed Trixie, consider this question. There are some interestingly unexpected answers, too: Applejack does not want to be an apple tree, for a start. I enjoy the dialogue, but the fic does fall down rather for me in that the twist (involving Trixie) comes entirely out of nowhere. I'm not convinced Rarity wouldn't know the word "utilitarian", either. ★★

Branch Shaking by Moproblems Moharmoney
Twilight and Applejack

G4 AU; Comedy/Slice of Life; 1k words; Apr 2023; Everyone

Being the level headed mare she is, one thing Applejack always desires before blowing her top is an explanation. Even the most hare brained scheme can be justified if it makes a meagre ounce of sense. Today is not one of those days.

Stated to be a Reflection-Verse story, which was a potential problem for me as I haven't read Reflection. For a start, I gathered after a while that Twilight was a diamond dog – but I had no idea why as it wasn't explained in-fic. Fortunately, MM is a good enough author that the story is still quite enjoyable in a silly sort of way even though I didn't have that background. Made me laugh more than once, which isn't a given with [Comedy]-tagged fics. I think it has to be a top-end two for me as I really do feel I'm missing context reading this as a standalone – but those who know and like the 'verse will almost certainly rate it higher. ★★

A Calming in the Forest by GurbangulyBerdimuhamedow
Fluttershy

G4; Slice of Life; 1k words; Apr 2023; Everyone

Fluttershy always loved nature, and now she had the chance to be even closer to it.
Back to Fluttershy for my last read this week. I assume the author isn't actually a Turkmen politician, but who knows with pastel ponies? Anyway, this is a simple tale in which Fluttershy wants to become a tree, eventually does so, but then... well, I don't want to give away the twist, but it's an intriguing idea. The fic's main weakness is that these things just... happen, without much in-story reason for them to do so other than plot convenience. ★★

Next time, I hope to review the remaining treefics, including one minific and all the prize-winners. I can't quite yet get back to listing them all or indeed promising a specific publication day, so look out for PR at any time between Wednesday and Friday!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, if famed philosopher Slavoj Zizek could write ponyfic, why not the president of Turkmenistan? :V

    Wild horses could not keep me from reading a story called If You Go Down in the Woods Today. >:B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fascinating to know who the most famous person ever to have a Fimfiction account actually is! I can't imagine we ever will, so it's fun to speculate. :P

      Delete
    2. given that we can't really ascertain if any of those people actually own the accounts named after them, probably just skywriter :B who is hardly famous but is at least a published author of a thing what I read before I knew who he was

      Delete