Wednesday 25 May 2022

Ponyfic Roundup 393

Read it Later story count: 89 (-1)

You know what, after almost a year away I have actually written a non-flashfic MLP story! I'll give it a shameless plug in a few days (because this is my blog and I'm allowed to do that) but I won't try to squish it in here where I want to concentrate on other people's fics. Once again I have managed to read four of them, so here's the list as ever...

Certain Advantages by The Descendant
The Juggler by SanityLost
Tenebrae
by Pearple Prose
A Day With Dash
by PonyThunder

★: 0 | ★★: 2 | ★★★: 2 | ★★★★: 0 | ★★★★★: 0
Note: I use a skewed rating system. A fic I find average scores two stars.

Certain Advantages by The Descendant
Spike, Rainbow Dash, Celestia, Luna and Spike
Comedy; 12k words; Dec 2012; Teen

When Dash makes Spike bet on this year's Sisterhooves Social, she's sure she can't lose... right?

I still miss The Descendant, as I'm sure many of us do. It was nice to go back to reading one of his fics after a long time, and this comedy features something he's noted for: really good Spike writing. Indeed, Spike's frantic attempts to make Twilight believe he was being sardonic (or is it sarcastic?) are a running highlight. The sisterly bonding between Celestia and Luna (who, fair warning, start off quite godlike here) is mostly enjoyable, and there's a slightly odd though again broadly fun side-plot involving Diamond Dogs. Also a joke leaning very heavily on cartoon physics that some will hate but I laughed at (apart from an eye-roller line about Scootaloo). On the downside, there are two running gags that considerably outstay their welcomes: one with Granny Smith receiving a remarkable massage from a bunch of muscled stallions and one – which bored me stupid by the end – involving the belief that the word "bunghole" is hilarious. I mean, the story does that kind of humour quite well. I just don't like it and the joke runs on for so long that you can't just ignore it. As such, I can't justify more than a highish two, even for TD. ★★

The Juggler by SanityLost
Derpy, Pinkie Pie and Dinky

Sad; 2k words; Mar 2012; Everyone

Derpy Juggles in a weird suit every Sunday Morning, what is this crazy mare up to?

A story written, says the author, in under an hour, which is impressive. Yes, that does show and the end A/N makes it clear that they could have made it better with more time – but for such a speedwritten fic, this isn't bad. Derpy does have a good reason for the juggling, and when we find that reason out near the end there are some genuine feels to be had. On the downside, I'm not keen on the way many Ponyvillians are shown calling Derpy stupid. This is however balanced by a lovely cameo from Pinkie, which only falters right at the end. I won't claim this is a show-stopper of a fic, but it's mostly readable enough and the author's assessment that it "stinks" is a bit harsh. ★★

Tenebrae by Pearple Prose
Twilight, Luna and Celestia
Alternate Universe/Romance; 2k words; Jun 2014; Everyone

On the Night Mare's Night, Archdruid Twilight Sparkle prays to her goddess. For the first time, her goddess answers. Unfortunately, matters are never quite that simple when one is dealing with a being of power beyond mortal comprehension.

When a story begins "Archdruid Twilight Sparkle" you know you're in an AU, and indeed this is more AU-y than most I see. For reasons that are rather fuzzy, this universe's Luna is a much more remote figure than canon Equestria's, and Twilight is very much unnerved and overawed at the thought of speaking to her. So when Luna commands Twilight to "abandon your faith to me" it's clear something remarkable is going on. It's a well written and highly atmospheric story, though I suspect YMMV in how you react to the likes of "Acolyte Trixie Lulamoon". More importantly, though, this is in some sense a TwiLuna fic, and that in itself will divide opinion. I'm not a huge fan of that ship, but my real complaint here is that the story just... stops. No second chapter, no sequel, nothing. It did leave me feeling a little let down. A real shame, but what is there is interesting enough for a pretty solid three. ★★★

A Day With Dash by PonyThunder
Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo
Slice of Life; 2k words; Dec 2016; Everyone

Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash go on a camping trip, and Scootaloo has been looking forward to it for a long time. But Rainbow Dash is worried that Scootaloo might one day outgrow the unbridled adoration of her adopted big sister. Heartwarming/Uplifting

This fic is set a few years on from the show (barring the S9 epilogue) and has a very simple idea: that Rainbow Dash doesn't know how to deal with Scootaloo growing up – and, in consequence, growing away from Dash too. It's a simple story, but it's executed pretty well and that's enough. It's nearly all told from Rainbow's perspective, and I found the couple of Scoot-POV paragraphs slightly intrusive in that regard, though it wasn't a deal-breaker. As is often the case, Rainbow's inner thoughts are more complex and interesting than her brasher public persona. Add that to a perhaps slightly pat, but nevertheless cute ending, and this is a Scootalove fic that's just a little different to most of that genre and which I rather enjoyed. ★★★


Next time, I hope that stories reviewed will include alarajrogers' endcap to "What About Discord?" (yes, really) What About Twilight?

3 comments:

  1. Oof, only ★★ for a Descendant fic. While I do remember it being long-winded (any fic that is very clearly operating in the mode of a solo goofy, fun episode like this better have a good reason for going beyond 10K, and the disconnected side plots and gags aren't it), and some of the gags not being quite right, I remember being enchanted enough to favourite it at the time. I anticipate it not living up to that, but I can't see it dropping to even a high ★★ rating (for me, that's barely inching into my tier) – The Descendant's handling of the characters is simply too good for that. It's on my reread list, so it probably won't be long before I get to it myself.

    Ooh, What About Twilight? next week, eh? Good timing too, just what you need after going through the episode. It's not strictly a fixfic, but it is in many ways the Twilight/Discord friendship/relationship breakdown we all need, one that fits Discord's character rather then taking away that which makes him unique to make it work. Essential reading, and I look forward to you being (hopefully?) delighted and grateful for it next week. It too is on my reread list, but I don't feel too pressured to review it too soon – most of everyone knows it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it got a 3-star rating from me. It's been so long since I read it, I don't remember any of the downsides.

      Delete
  2. Tenebrae got four stars from me. It's been so long since I read it that I don't remember if it was that good, or it was because I do like that ship. Maybe I'll have to reread it.

    ReplyDelete