Friday 8 April 2022

Tell Your Tale – first impressions

This is a non-spoilery post! I've now watched the four episodes of the G5 Tell Your Tale series that Hasbro included in the first batch of releases. Tell Your Tale is the 2D series which you can watch for free on YouTube. Apparently no fewer than 70 (seventy) episodes are in the offing, so is it any good? Actually... I quite liked it. The designs were simplified compared with the 3D CGI in the movie, obviously, but I thought they worked quite well. They were certainly less... frantic than the Pony Life designs. The characters stayed (mostly) reasonably likeable, and the stories while inevitably very simple were pleasant enough. I'm not sure whether I'll have the stamina for another 66 episodes of Tell Your Tale, but for now at least I'm sticking with it.

1 comment:

  1. I found it all to be inoffensive if not deeply interesting. Certainly heads and shoulders above Pony Life.

    I had reserved judgement on the character style until now, because I have enjoyed a lot of shows that use the "bean-mouth" style. (Gravity Falls, Star vs., Steven Universe, Gumball, etc.) But now that I've seen the new ponies in action...

    https://i.ibb.co/TPZKkwN/Hitch-Derp.png

    Horses shouldn't have flat faces. The above example is undeniably bad character design. There were three or four shots in these episodes where I actually cringed (or maybe it was winced) at the look and motion of the characters.

    Mickey Mouse is an eldritch horror whose head turn follows no sort of Euclidian logic except that he looks good from any angle. TYT really should have followed his example.

    I hate ragging on artists, so I'll end on a positive note: The backgrounds were really well-done and fit in with the style perfectly.

    As I said over in Mike's blog post, I will probably keep watching these... until I forget to.

    ReplyDelete