Wednesday 22 September 2021

Ponyfic Roundup 361

Read it Later story count: 107 (nc) 

Off we go again with another edition of Ponyfic Roundup. This is of course the very last PR before we formally enter the G5 era of My Little Pony. For now, at least, I will be sticking to reviewing G4 stories in these posts. However, I do not rule out including G5 fics in the future. Partly my decision there will depend on the number and quality of such that appear. Only two fics this week I'm afraid, thanks to an account nuke happening; the first for some while, at least. The pair that remain are:

The Nightmare Omen by The Kiss of the Void
Epitaphs by Baal Bunny

★: 0 | ★★: 0 | ★★★: 2 | ★★★★: 0 | ★★★★★: 0
Note: I use a skewed rating system. A fic I find average scores two stars.

The Nightmare Omen by TheKissoftheVoid
Celestia, Luna, Nightmare Moon and OC
Dark/Drama/Thriller; 8k words; Mar 2014; Teen

Nightmare Moon's power is growing. It's only a matter of time before she has the strength to cast down the sun and usher in the long night. That in mind, she sends a very personal message the the Princess of the Sun

This fic is set as Nightmare Moon's power grows prior to her takeover, so (as it's not AU) we know that there won't – immediately at least – be a happy ending. The OC is Morning Glory, at this time Celestia's protégée. She is a target for Nightmare Moon's dark plans, and she does not have a particularly cheerful time of it. Meanwhile, Celestia tries to protect her and Luna wrestles with her own problems relating to the dream world. I like the characterisation and the quite rich descriptive language used here. It did feel a bit wordy at times, and it was sometimes a relief when direct speech started to appear more after a long passage without it. Still, an interesting piece that brings out just how dangerous Nightmare Moon was. As such, quite a high three. ★★★

Epitaphs by Baal Bunny
Mane Six
Slice of Life; 1k words; Nov 2014; Everyone

Rainbow Dash asks her friends what they might want carved on their tombstones. Her friends tell her.

Not as beefy a story as The Nightmare Omen, despite its also dealing with a weighty topic. This is largely a scene in which some of the Manes bat around the subject in suitably in-character ways. Actually, the character work and dialogue are the primary reasons to enjoy this. Since Baal Bunny does a good job there, it works and is a satisfying little read. The ending may require just a little thought before realisation dawns, at least unless you're quicker on the uptake than me. Another high three. ★★★


Next time around, stories reviewed should include PaulAsaran's Twilight and Celestia fic, What is Missing, What is Lost. In a normal week I'd say I'd try to read four fics to make up for this week's shortfall. However, this isn't a normal week, so no promises there.

3 comments:

  1. One of the few Baal Bunny stories I haven't read. I may have read it when it was a write-off entry, but I doubt it—that was back when there were a huge number of entries for minific rounds, so I would have only read the ones on my voting slate.

    I liked "The Nightmare Omen" quite a bit, too, and it falls in the most frustrating categories for me: I told the author it only needed some minor touch-up before I approved it for EqD, but we never heard back from the author. Still, I recommended it to Paul Asaran for his review blog, and he liked it about as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epitaphs was fun. The only quibble I have was the game being set up in the beginning. Friends don't let friends play Monopoly! T'other goes on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago at a ponymeet, I played the MLP version of Monopoly. (The full-scale one, not Junior.) Although we actually had fun and didn't end up killing each other, I didn't have much success. I was playing as Fluttershy and she'd been sent to jail three times before I got all the way around the board once! :D

      Delete