Tuesday 18 August 2020

A straw in the wind?

I notice that NordicFuzzCon 2021, a Swedish furry convention scheduled for next February, will not take place as planned. Although this isn't a Pony convention, it is the first one I've personally noticed in a reasonably similar fandom to be called off that was scheduled for next year. The organisers say in the linked announcement that they are keeping their options open as to what to do, since "[t]he world is too unpredictable for us to be able to make any promises or to give any dates at this time".

This suggests to me that right now, in August, time is already running short for cons in the early months of next year. I suspect some organisers are already deep into negotiations with venues about postponements. I wish I could be more optimistic about this, but I suspect that the resumption of large fandom gatherings may well be further off than any of us would like to think. (I think some kind of MLP con did happen in China recently, but I'm essentially talking about Europe and North America here.)

Pandemics are generally long hauls. This one doesn't look like it's going to be very different in that regard, and I would not be especially surprised if there were no more than a handful of full-scale Pony conventions in 2021. I would absolutely love to be proved wrong on this one. As ever, we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Just judging by the rate at which things are moving I don't think Griffish Iles has any hope of going ahead in November. And I wouldn't bet a lot of money on UKPonyCon going ahead next May either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've completely written off GI in my mind. A full-scale convention, indoors, in a hotel, in central Manchester, in three months' time? Yeah... good luck with that. As for UKPC, I think it has a chance. But since it would need pretty much everything to go right from here on in, I don't think it's an especially high chance.

      Delete