Sunday 31 May 2020

Pony Life to premiere on 13th June

First up: paperhearts is back! He's posted a brief blog post on Fimfiction. He's clearly had a very hard time, but he's now able to see his family again. This is the best fandom news I've had in ages.

Now, to more straightforward MLP news: Pony Life is finally on its way! According to EqD, the first episode will premiere on Discovery Family on Saturday 13th June – so in less than a fortnight! We've also seen the synopses for the first two episodes, from Zap2it I believe. As they may be considered a little spoilery, they'll go after a page break:

Princess Probz
Air date: June 13, 2020

The ponies help Pinkie Pie audition for a televised cooking competition called the Royal Jelly Juggernaut. When the rest of the Mane 6 are caught in a sticky situation, Pinkie Pie has to audition for the Royal Jelly Juggernaut all on her own.

The Best of the Worst
Air date: TBA

Rainbow Dash's competitive spirit is put to the test when a new pony challenges her to a contest unlike any other. Rainbow Dash faces off against Dishwater Slog in a loser-take-all race to finally prove which pony is truly the worst.


Hmmm. "Televised" is the word that jumps out at me from the first synopsis. This is clearly not going to entirely share Friendship is Magic's continuity. I shall withhold judgement until I've seen it, of course. As for the second synopsis... "Dishwater Slog"? I can't work out what that's even supposed to mean. We'll see, I suppose.

7 comments:

  1. That's obviously the name of a pony created to be Rainbow's opposite in every way except being the worst I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone on EqD pointed out that linking Rainbow Dash with a sink (okay, the contents thereof in this case) wasn't entirely original...

      Delete
  2. God I thought the animation alone screamed 'Teen Titans Go' crap... All right, let's have a look:

    Princess Probz: Well, the title itself definitely feels like they are 'trying' to connect with the teen girl scene and you'd almost think it be a 'Twilight Sparkle' story being that it literally has 'Princess' in the title.

    Offscreen: You do know there's more than one Princess, right?

    Shut up! *Clears throat* Anyways... This will be the first time Pinkie Pie was involved in some sweet-sounding contest since she tried to get her cake safely on a train ride, only to discover some pony ate it because of how tasty she made it sound. Now I want to believe that with her friends stuck in a sticky situation and Pinkie realizing this is one problem she'll have to solve on her own, it must be a subject about learning to be 'independent' and that your friends won't always be around to help. And when the opportunity comes that they need that 'pony' in their hour of need, Pinkie will learn there's nothing she cannot do once she puts her mind to it that the safety of her friends means more to her than a silly contest... IF this were a 'Friendship is Magic' episode, I won't be surprised if this Pinkie did something a bit selfish.

    The Best of the Worst: So a contest that is seemingly not about being the best 'pony', but being the worst? I'm going to assume this has something to do with those teaser images of Rainbow and her friends trying to do something they wouldn't normally do. But given the description, I don't know what's the point of having Rainbow and some rando-pony trying to compete to determine who's bad at something, even though essentially 'Pony Life' is supposed to be a 'parody' (Not a big fan). Could it still be funny? Maybe... But at this point, I'm only being judgmental because I'm assuming that I KNOW what to already expect with this series and when it happens the way I believe it will... I'll know I was right to some degree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a heads-up: I've never seen Teen Titans Go. So everyone constantly comparing Pony Life to that doesn't really mean much to me.

      Delete
    2. The Cloptimist2 June 2020 at 21:54

      I'm happy to go on the record (if only for the purposes of balance!) and express how much I like Teen Titans Go. Its bizarre Pythonesque silliness (sometimes outright surrealist humour) and extremely quickfire pace, its constant self-deprecating comparisons to/apologies for desecration of its beloved parent show, Tara Strong on superb form playing a misanthropic brony... It absolutely doesn't always work and it's surely not to everyone's taste, but if Pony Life is even half as strange and irreverent then I'll be delighted.

      Delete
    3. For that matter, I haven't seen the original Teen Titans either! I'm really not an animation person -- or at least, I wasn't until you know what came along...

      Delete