Friday 3 January 2020

State of the Unicorn, January 2020

I published this on Fimfiction on New Year's Day, and I thought I might as well copy it here, only very slightly edited. Given the platform, it's almost entirely about fanfic rather than any other aspect of my MLP fanship, but here we go anyway.

Into the unknown we go! Well, okay, that's true every day of our lives, to a greater or lesser extent. But this year is the first in Fimfiction's existence with no new Friendship is Magic. Curiously enough -- or perhaps not -- I feel more motivated to create Pony stuff now than I have done in a long time.

And since my art looks like the meanderings of a half-dead, half-drunk centipede and my singing is only permitted to be revealed in public at convention karaoke sessions, that means writing.

So what's happening with ponyfic as far as I'm concerned? Let's have a look...
  • I'm writing a very silly fic about a strike on Equestrian Railways, which should be the next one I publish. That's in a fairly advanced draft state.
  • I have about a third of a little fic centring on Twilight's life just after the S9 epilogue. It's about 50/50 to make it to publication.
  • There's still that more serious fic I've been wanting to write since late S7. I would love to say it'll be out this year, but...
  • Feghoots are fun, as I discovered in 2019 with I discovered in 2019 with Raising the Baa and The Shoreline Shape Up. You can probably expect at least one or two more of them.
  • The Danger Within is still not something I want to officially cancel, but I'd be lying if I said it was likely to go anywhere any time soon.
  • The Flashfic 150 contests seem to have overcome a very lean period and are now rolling along again quite nicely. I'll happily continue with those.
  • I will be posting Ponyfic Roundup 278 on Wednesday 8th January. It still seems amazing to me that I've been doing these reviews for nearly six years now!
I'm not going anywhere. I'll die with the herd. I may not be the best or the most prolific or the most prominent of ponyfic people on Fimfiction, but not only the fandom but that site and its own community mean a lot to me, and I have absolutely no intention of letting that part of my life gurgle away down the plughole of despair. So there's my New Year's Resolution for this fandom for 2020: I will bloody well write more!

I hope all of you have a good year, especially those who are not having a good time right now. Happy 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment