Monday 13 January 2020

From a discussion at the Worcester meet on S8/S9

I was at the Worcester Shires' first meet of 2020 on Saturday, and very enjoyable it was too. One of the many things we talked about was our enjoyment or otherwise of later FiM seasons and episodes. While I can't remember everything we discussed, and not all of it would make sense out of context anyway, one thing that was interesting was just how many S8 and S9 episodes were considered good-or-better by at least somebody. More than I would have expected if you'd asked me to guess, to be honest.

Although my rewatch series may eventually change this, right now my feeling is that S8 is my least favourite season of the show. Even there, though, there are the likes of "Surf and/or Turf", "The Break Up Breakdown", "The Hearth's Warming Club", "Road to Friendship", "What Lies Beneath" and "Sound of Silence", any one of which I would happily watch if I happened to switch on Tiny Pop while it was playing. There are several more (eg "Grannies Gone Wild" and "The Washouts") that got at least qualified support.

Much the same applied to S9 – though I was interested that there were more complaints about S9 episodes than about S8 ones. Whether that's just because they're fresher in our minds, I don't know, but it goes against the general feeling that S9 > S8. Bearing in mind that the epilogue's popularity with most (though not, until the last few minutes, me) may fade with time, I do wonder whether S8 may eventually end up being liked more than S9, or at least being about on its level. And whether I may end up feeling that way too.

That's one great thing about a show that ran for nine years and over 200 episodes – even though there won't be any more FiM instalments, there's still always something to talk about. Good news for those of us who maintain blogs about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment