Tuesday 5 November 2019

My Little Repeats: full-series rewatch coming very soon!

I was originally going to leave my full-series rewatch of Friendship is Magic a little while longer, but it turns out that I'm just too impatient for that! So, like (it seems) about half the fandom, I'll be getting under way with that very shortly – perhaps in just a matter of days. If I waited until the other rewatchers had finished then I'd be waiting literally years to get started, so that is definitely not on!

I'm going to call my own rewatch My Little Repeats. For those unaware, "repeats" is the word that we in the UK use for what Americans generally call "reruns" – shows that have already been seen on TV. I thought the MLR name was a bit obvious, but a quick Google reveals that the phrase doesn't seem to be being used by anyone else in the fandom, and certainly not for a series rewatch like this.

My current intention is to watch about three episodes a week, with occasional adjustments for holidays, conventions and so on. (I'm tempted to break from the norm and review double episodes singly.) I'd like to try to avoid posting on two successive days, and this is the fastest pace that allows me to do that. I won't be worrying too much about posting on exactly the same days each week, since I can't guarantee to keep to an inflexible schedule.

Of course, Louder Yay won't only be here for My Little Repeats – another reason I want to keep some off days. Ponyfic Roundup and Sounds of 2012 will be continuing, and I'll carry on posting from time to time about other stuff that comes up. If there's a Really Big Deal, such as an official peek at the G5 designs, then that may well bump a planned MLR instalment back a day or two.

My Little Repeats is not going to be a short-term commitment, as I intend to see it through. Even at three episodes a week, it's going to take me well over a year. I'll still be writing MLR stuff into 2021. I already have a pretty good idea of the format I'll use – please don't expect full-length reviews, but more my briefish thoughts and points of interest; think Ponyfic Roundup review length.

Episodes will be reviewed in the order of their release on US TV, ignoring earlier foreign broadcasts or leaks – though I may well make a slight exception for the 2017 movie and watch that after all of S7; it's only a few weeks out and seems more comfortable there. I will also include "Best Gift Ever" and "Rainbow Roadtrip", even though the latter doesn't have an episode number.

And what about Equestria Girls, I hear you ask? That's a good question. Even though EqG is part of the G4 My Little Pony world and several of its releases do include segments set in Equestria, my current inclination is not to include them in this rewatch. That doesn't mean I won't rewatch them at some point, possibly even as another rewatch series – but not as part of this series.

Oh, and I hope this goes without saying, but just in case: I will be assuming that everyone reading MLR posts has already seen the entire series – so there will be no spoiler cuts! If I see something in S1 that reminds me of an episode in S9, then I'm not going to be coy about what that is. And now I think I've rambled quite enough. Keep a look out for My Little Repeats, coming very soon!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, I am very much looking forward to this.

    I have started to compare MLP to the Beatles, in that most of the really big hits and phenomenon-level fandom come in the early part of their career, while the classic headphones-om albums come from the later part, but that the latter couldn't have existed without the former. So I'm especially interested to go back to Please Please Me now that we've got Let It Be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "headphones-ON", that should read, although "headphones/om" is not an inaccurate description

      Delete
    2. It's a grey, damp morning here in Worcestershire, but "headphones/om" really made me smile. So thank you! :)

      Delete