Tuesday 19 November 2019

Griffish Isles ticket details announced!

The Manchester-based Griffish Isles convention, which for next year has expanded to two days (9/10 May) and has a new venue (the Pyramid Hotel) has announced that tickets will go on sale on Saturday 23rd November at midday UK time. A few people already have tickets, as they were doing pre-sales at UK PonyCon (and maybe BronyScot; I'm not sure), but for most people, Saturday is when they'll have their chance. Here's how the ticket prices stack up for attendees; vendor ticket applications will be handled separately.
Adult Standard Weekend: £45
VIP ticket (limited) : £95
Golden Ticket (two only) : £500
Saturday only: £38
Sunday only: £18
Foals (under-12s) free with paying adults; must leave by 6pm
Carers also free
The above prices do not include the booking fee; if you order a ticket in person at a Lancashire Brony event, that will be waived. Here are a couple more details from the Twitter thread that was how I found out about this:
  • VIP tickets include T Shirt, Front two row seating in mane theatre, early access and additional perks as per previous years.
  • Golden Tickets include dedicated front row seating in the mane theatre, along with personal thanks from the conference Chair for them helping to make the convention a success. 
The basic weekend ticket price is about what I'd expected: it's a little bit more than UK PonyCon was this year (£37) but then UKPC has economies of scale. The disparity between Saturday and Sunday prices seems very wide (cf UKPC: Sat £25, Sun £20) which leads me to wonder what the difference in scheduling will be like; I'm assuming Saturday's events will go on quite a way into the night.

As for the Golden Tickets? Well. £500 will be the single most expensive ticket in British MLP convention history – from memory, the Celestia tickets at BUCK were somewhere in the £300-£350 range. And those got you a lot of perks. The Golden Tickets are so dear that I can only think they're intended for people who feel like making a statement of how much GI means to them. I'm a little bemused, if I'm honest.

I attended Griffish Isles last year and had a good time. Some of my concerns in 2019 still exist, and I'll be watching particularly closely to see whether the sometimes poor communications (especially regarding the con's website) have improved since last year. It's less likely that I'll actually attend in 2020, as I have a holiday only a few weeks away, but it's not impossible. Naturally, I hope Griffish Isles 2020 is a happy, successful event!

2 comments:

  1. I'm keeping an eye on this one too. I enjoy Manchester a lot, so GI was the convention I was most likely to go to, if I decided to take the plunge next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be, I think, the eighth MLP convention in Manchester in the G4 era, so you've certainly picked a good city to like!

      Going on my experience last year, I think it'll be good fun. Smaller than UK PonyCon of course, but large enough for there to be plenty to do.

      Delete