Monday 25 March 2019

Sounds of 2011: Nos. 3 and 2

Time for the last-but-one instalment of this Everfree Radio 2011 Top 100 series! Just the two songs for you today, one of which is now much better known than the other in my experience. (Other people may have different ones, but they're not writing this. At least, not unless they're hypnotically mind-controlling me or something.)


This song is the one that's retained its popularity; I don't know whether it would score as high as this these days, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it well inside an all-time fandom top 20. WoodenToaster uploaded this just nine days after "Luna Eclipse" aired. Its rap sections are a bit on the inconsistent side: "She's gonna blow you all back with her Equestrian Voice" is a great line, but "With a royal farewell and an animate spell" is less so. The beat is very strong, though, the opening instrumental section is great and the track has heaps of energy. When Mic played this track at BUCK 2014, it was very well received. No HQ download, I'm afraid.


Sometimes subtitled "Lyra and Bon Bon", this is the first of the "Seasons" tracks that Jackle App made long ago. Unlike "Nightmare Night", this wouldn't get into an all-time most popular list today, which is a slight shame. It's about a pegasus who accepts L&B's hospitality after being injured in a flying accident. Even back then, the two mares were widely considered an item by the fandom, and the lyrics reflect that. Jackle App said he was going for a "cheesy, electropoppy sound" and wanted to make it sound a bit like Owl City. There's certainly a pretty strong resemblance there. You can buy this song in HQ on Jackle App's Bandcamp for a dollar.

Next time: We finally reach the end as Everfree Radio's top-rated brony song of 2011 is revealed!

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, Summer! :D So good!

    You know, I was never a big fan of Nightmare Night, but eight years on, I've heard so many remixes, remakes, covers and I don't even know what that I'm well and truly sick of it.

    Number 1's either Discord or Luna, right? <.< I can't remember which one we've already had on the list and I can't imagine anyone beating out Eurobeat Brony for the top spot. Of course, I'm remembering it from mine, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, neither of those. Discord was at no. 33(!) and Luna made it to no. 4.

      Delete
    2. I would be more outraged if the real victim here weren't my horrible memory.

      Delete