Wednesday 24 January 2018

Ponyfic Roundup 188: Pigs in Blankets

I still can't believe that Sainsbury's has been selling off festive-branded pigs in blankets flavour Pringles for 20p per 200g can. A quite ridiculous bargain. (If you're American, note that what we call "pigs in blankets" are a slightly different snack from what they are Stateside. Over here, they're chipolatas wrapped in bacon – no dough involved.)

Read it Later story count: 375 (+3)

As well as getting back into writing ponyfic, I feel as though I will soon finally be managing to get a little more time to actually read the stuff. I'm still not keeping up with other blogs/reviewers as much as I'd like, which is to say more than minimally, but that's also on my to-do list. Here's what I've been reading this week:

Uncertainty by MadMaxtheBlack
Tarnish by KitsuneRisu
A Birthday to Remember by ishu
Covet by cydoniia

★: 0 | ★★: 2 | ★★★: 1 | ★★★★: 1 | ★★★★★: 0

Uncertainty by MadMaxtheBlack
Fluttershy [and OC]
Sad/Slice of Life/Human; 2k words; Nov 2014; Teen
What is a dream, and what is reality?
This author has over 3,000 followers – but because most of their stories are Mature/clop, this is the first of their fics I've read. Although not tagged as such, this is a second-person story, which is usually a bad sign. However, this fic is actually quite interesting, and its two parts fit together rather well. Also, there's lots of Fluttershy. There is a little LUS and an irritating footnote at the end. On the plus side, it's a simple idea that (slightly surprisingly) I haven't read before. I have a huge advantage in that the narration telling me that "Hurricane Fluttershy" is my favourite episode is spot on. If you don't agree, you're wrong you may struggle a bit more to empathise. Three stars if you like Fluttershy, two if you don't. So three it is! ★★★

Tarnish by KitsuneRisu
Silver Spoon
Slice of Life; 3k words; Feb 2014; Everyone
This is a story about a child, a spoon, and change.
A very interesting approach to Silver Spoon, a character who (especially before "Crusaders of the Lost Mark") many authors really struggled to write. This fic is seen almost literally through her eyes, and it's clear she's a troubled filly. There are little throwaway lines that really made my eyes fly open – one about some photo frames, for example – and it's a story that's... well, not without answers, as we do get some. But without complete, easy answers, certainly. I can see this one leaving some readers cold, as not everyone will feel a connection with the clearly emotionally damaged Silver Spoon. If it grabs you, though, it will haunt you. ★★★★

A Birthday to Remember by ishu
Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash
Slice of Life; 2k words; Jan 2018; Everyone
It's Scootaloo's birthday; all she really wants is to spend some time with Rainbow Dash, but the newest Wonderbolt might just have an even bigger surprise in store for her.
The author here only joined Fimfiction in September, but their username is already crossed out. Why, I don't know, but it's a shame to see someone leave so soon. This story is a simple, cute one which could easily have been written several years ago. It gets off to a bad start with a horrible run of LUS, but after that it's pleasant enough, if highly predictable. ★★

Covet by cydoniia
Celestia and Luna
Slice of Life; 1k words; Dec 2011; Everyone
It's Luna's first night back in Equestria, and she raises the moon.
This is an oddity. It's only 821 words, as was allowed back then, and it's on a topic that's been absolutely done to death. Nevertheless, it has some nice imagery and a quiet atmosphere that suits it quite well. It's too short for its own good, though, and there are just enough technical irritations to feel intrusive. A high two. ★★

Next time on Ponyfic Roundup: stories reviewed will include xjuggernaughtx's classic Diary of a Silent Tyrant. (Edit: yes, the more-classic Pliant will be reviewed as well in due course.)

8 comments:

  1. Sooooo... pigs wrapped in pigs, then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait. Diary of a Silent Tyrant? But that's not the good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Pliant will be along fairly shortly thereafter. I want to read them in order, though.

      Delete
    2. Actually, I haven't read Diary of a Pliant Tyrant in so long that it might not be good, either. I did write it a long time ago. I was very happy with it at the time, but who knows how it's aged. Hopefully it'll be worth your time.

      Delete
    3. I'm optimistic on that front. I generally like your stories and I generally like RCL stories – and that one is both! It's also fairly short, which means it's more likely I'll get round to it in a reasonable timeframe.

      Still, I'm getting ahead of myself. Diary of a Silent Tyrant first.

      Delete
  3. When someone's name is struck through, it means they've been banned. Could be temporary, could be permanent. I guess see how long it's been since the author logged in, and if it's more than a week, it might be permanent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I guess I should have read the author's front page comments, especially this one: "Fun that my stories are held hostage, though, earning ad-revenue for a site that's banned me several times without justification or explanation."

      Given that said comment is posted by "ashi-2", I wouldn't be surprised if another strike-through was in the offing. I've no idea what this writer first did to attract official attention, but ban evasion is most unlikely to help their case.

      Delete
    2. There are several people like this who just keep getting banned and rotating around through different usernames.

      Delete