Friday 2 September 2016

UK PonyCon is now next month, people

Next. Month.

If you're superbly prepared and you already know exactly what you'll be doing when, then lucky you. Most of us, however, are not in that position. I know I'm not – I've got my ticket (obviously), my hotel is booked and I have enough money to pay for my trains. That's about it, though. If you're in the same boat, welcome to the club. Still, if you're new to the whole convention lark, then I want to stress one thing that you should bear in mind above all others:

Wear comfortable shoes!

This is probably the single most important thing you need to know. It may not bother others around you as much as if you don't keep to the 6-2-1 Rule, but it'll sure as hay bother you. Cons are really, really hard on your feet, and you're likely to spend way more time standing or walking than you're truly prepared for. You will not enjoy UK PonyCon if your feet are aching the whole time, and if you don't enjoy a con there's little point in going!

And don't go wearing brand new shoes, either. I made that mistake for BUCK 2014 and my feet were rubbed horribly because the shoes hadn't moulded themselves to my foot shape. I managed an ugly but effective fix with tissues and plasters, but it's much better not to have to!

8 comments:

  1. Heh. Years and years of doing LEGO exhibitions have taught me about correct footwear.

    My plans for the weekend amount to "get train to Leeds, walk to hotel, check in, walk to pre-meet, drown in ponies".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than a little more travelling (as I'm staying a few miles out) that's not very different from my plans! Though I guess it'll depend on what I end up doing on the Friday night.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. Due to me going to Spain last month I will unable to attend this year. I hope everypony has a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you can't make it -- but I hope you had a good time in Spain. Maybe see you next year!

      Delete
  3. What's a "plaster" in the British sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An adhesive bandage (a 'Band-Aid'?).

      Delete
    2. Yup. Band-Aid would be the thing.

      Delete
    3. We do say "Band-Aid" sometimes, using it in the vague way we use many American terms. Older British books will also use the (UK) trademark "Elastoplast" as a generic; the brand is still common, but you don't hear it used that way very often now.

      Delete