Wednesday 3 November 2021

Ponyfic Roundup 366

Read it Later story count: 96 (-3) 

So here I am at PR 366. Why is that number significant? It isn't, really, but it does mean that if I'd posted a PR every day since the start, I could now have filled up an entire leap year. That's quite a lot of ponyfic. The fact that I'm still not bored with reading the stuff just goes to show how interesting people's ideas about this remarkable cartoon can be. As we will see today...

Forever Young by Trick Question
The Shadow of a Doubt by Ardensfax
Twilight Sparkle Puts It in The Wall by JimmySlimmy

★: 0 | ★★: 2 | ★★★: 0 | ★★★★: 1 | ★★★★★: 0
Note: I use a skewed rating system. A fic I find average scores two stars.

Forever Young by Trick Question (review no. 1500!)
Rumble, Cheerilee, Thunder, Twilight and Other
Dark/Drama/Slice of Life/Alternate Universe; 14k words; Nov 2019; Teen (Sex, Fetish)

Rumble has a chance at eternal life, but it comes with a price: eternal youth.

I have to caution that Trick Question's fic is highly controversial, for reasons this review will try to make clear. In the AU she builds here, a small number of foals are blessed (if that's the word) by Celestia with an "infinity band" which stops them ageing. They have a short time with a kind of provisional version before they decide whether to make the condition permanent. Rumble is one such foal, and we follow him through his decision-making process, including talking to his brother Thunderlane, to the immortal Twilight, and to other ponies who did (and in one significant case, did not) decide to go ahead after the provisional period was up. The moral quandaries here are quite interestingly explored, some of which we've seen with alicorn stories (outliving friends) and some of which we haven't (being a schoolkid for hundreds of years). However, the story's most controversial aspects involve relationships. First, such a foal will "marry" an adult, who may well be their own parent. Second, once the foal reaches 40, they can have sex. Since said foal will not have aged, some readers find this unacceptably close to foalcon and so find the fic repellent. As I think most here know, I detest foalcon and won't read it under any circumstances – but, as you see, I finished this. These aspects of the story did disturb me significantly, and I don't think I'll be alone in that – but I think it does fall on the right side of my red line: nothing at all explicit is shown or described, and the author is describing the AU's situation, not celebrating it. I also got the feeling at times that Trick Question was making a fairly deep and complex point that I wasn't really clever enough to fully grasp. Given all that, I can't truly say I enjoyed this story. That's the reason for the two-star rating, not that I think it's of poor quality. In its way, it's fascinating. But I would recommend thinking hard before you decide to dive into this one. ★★

The Shadow of a Doubt by Ardensfax
Twilight and Rarity
Romance/Slice of Life; 20k words; Sep 2013; Teen

Nights in Canterlot are for sharing secrets. Ten years have passed, and the six friends have begun to walk their own paths. A burdened princess meets a friendly face among the crowds.

Less controversial, but this fic still divided opinion: Present Perfect rated it HR, Soge scored it 1/10. Some years after leaving the Library (this was written in the S3/S4 hiatus) Princess Twilight has forged a successful academic career in Canterlot. She misses her Ponyville days, so she's happy when Rarity shows up. The unicorn ends up taking the alicorn for a night on the town. In truth, the bare bones of what follows are fairly predictable, but if you don't mind that there's a lot to like here. It's very atmospheric, helped by the author's generally sure touch on the language (though LUS creeps in here and there). The world-building is also very nice, and the two main characters do convince. Whether the catalyst for the whole thing does is probably also going to divide readers: I'm kind of in the yes camp, but not totally so. As such, this makes it into the fours for me, not least because it's just so enjoyable to immerse yourself in Ardenfax's Canterlot. ★★★★

Twilight Sparkle Puts It in The Wall by JimmySlimmy
Twilight and Rainbow Dash
Comedy; 3k words; Mar 2021; Teen (Death)

"...for even the Alicorn, as powerful as they are, must fear that which cannot be tamed; Chaos, Entropy, and basic vehicle dynamics" -- "The Alicorn: A Study"

Rainbow Dash is attempting to instruct Twilight in the intricacies of tri-oval pegasus racing. The alicorn is less than impressed, convinced that she can go faster by using her own scientific methods. Much of what follows is a fairly thinly ponified version of the technical aspects of tri-oval racing on our world, though there's a major change of tone about three-quarters of the way through. Oh, and a punchline to end on. Fairly thinly ponified motorsport is something I'm familar with, so I was hoping to find this great fun. Unfortunately I think it plays up the technical aspects a bit too much, even allowing for my general enjoyment of Dash showing her thinking ability when it's a subject she really knows and loves. Plus as a Briton, tri-oval racing is completely alien to me. As such, this doesn't quite spark. You might like it a bit more if you're more knowledgeable about the inspiration. ★★


Next time, stories featured should include J Carp's Limestone Pie comedy The Profanity Garden.

12 comments:

  1. I also got the feeling at times that Trick Question was making a fairly deep and complex point that I wasn't really clever enough to fully grasp.
    To my knowledge, this is, as a matter of fact, what's going on. And if anyone's gotten said point, I am not aware of what it's supposed to be. :B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I was hoping it wasn't a case of "Look, it's blindingly obvious..."

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the leap year of reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If there's some ritual I'm supposed to perform at this point, I'm afraid it's slipped my mind...

      Delete
  3. To be fair, Soge seems kind of scattershot in what he does and doesn't like, and it doesn't take much for him to sour (and sour fast) on a story. Like Titanium Dragon's, I take his good ratings as "probably good but might just have pigeonholed his personal taste" and his bad ratings I mostly disregard.

    And I'm not sure why being a Brit would make that racing concept alien to you. I've never even heard of it. I have a basic knowledge of NASCAR, but I didn't know they used anything but a track & field shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm not sure why being a Brit would make that racing concept alien to you.

      Because it doesn't happen over here. Actually, any kind of oval racing at professional level is non-existent in this country. Every single major track in the UK is what I believe American motorsport calls a "road course" with multiple turns going both left and right. (Mostly right, since nearly all European circuits go clockwise.)

      I'm a fairly major motorsport fan, having followed it for well over 30 years now. But JimmySlimmy's story gets into some quite technical details of technique and so on that really don't apply unless you're on that kind of course -- and since that basically doesn't exist over here, I floundered a bit.

      Delete
    2. I was more saying that you make it sound like not being a Brit means you're likely to be familiar with it... and I think it's still a niche audience who would, no matter what. That said, I am differentiating that shape of track from the kind you'd see runners use, as I am familiar with that one. They had several cases of that one in the show.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I think it might be a little of each, a writer putting too much effort into talking about their own already esoteric interests (I've seen it happening on Fimfiction with trains, guns, and maths), exacerbated by the fact said interest is based on a thing which literally doesn't exist in this country, for double esoteric points.

      (MOTORSPORT NERDERY FOLLOWS - Top level oval racing of any kind died out decades ago in Europe, triangular or not, although there are still quite a few club and dirt ovals around, and speedway still exists.

      They did try and reintroduce high level oval racing in Europe about 20 years ago, hosting Indycar races on specially built new tracks at Lausitz in Germany (which has a tri-oval layout) and at Corby. It was a dismal failure; the first races took place in September 2001, nobody turned up, the German track is best remembered for being the scene of Alex Zanardi's horrible accident, while the Corby one (renamed "Rockingham") went bust and is now a car park.)

      Delete
    4. Mind you, I can hardly complain about writers and esoteric interests, given a) that hillclimb fic I wrote, and b) that I've more than once toyed with the idea of writing a fic about the ponies playing cricket!

      Delete
    5. Sometimes I enjoy stories based on esoteric subjects, sometimes not, and I can't always predict which ones will click with me. But a total and complete lack of interest in "motorsports" is a good indicator here.

      But I would totally read a fic about ponies playing cricket!

      Delete
  4. Well, this was an easy set for me! Ardensfax's story goes on the kindle and I forget the other two exist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly the only one of the three I can imagine I'll read again, though the other two don't share the opposite status for the same reasons.

      Delete