Tuesday 16 November 2021

Happy 10th, "20 Percent Cooler"!

I almost missed this one! 16th November 2011 saw the initial upload to YouTube of this absolute certified dancefloor banger. [Don't try to talk like that, Logan. It's embarrassing. —Ed] "20 Percent Cooler" is a song that is a legitimately good club track even if you know nothing whatsoever about Rainbow Dash or MLP in general, as indeed several of its Bandcamp reviews make clear. Indeed, most of the references are pretty subtle It has a wonderful, driving beat, the lyrics are cleverly done (and only a tiny bit on the risqué side by club standards), and at only 3:12 in length it doesn't fall into the common fandom trap of outstaying its welcome. This kind of music isn't to everyone's taste – indeed, it's often not to mine. But Ken Ashcorp does it so well in "20 Percent Cooler" that I find it completely irresistible. It deserves to have kept its fame for a decade.

3 comments:

  1. Man, this is such a great song. I'm sad Ken Ashcorp kinda faded away after this one. He was someone else I listened to in the furry fandom before pony, and he was always good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, this song is the only reason I know his name at all. I never really took much interest in furry music; Chama's is about the only name I can remember offhand from that fandom.

      Delete
    2. BRO

      Anyone who remembers Chama is doing it right. :D

      The only other ones I really knew of were Sim Gretina and, unfortunately, MandoPony.

      Delete